Prelude

September 17th, 1999

I put my bonnet on and got into my bed covered in the pink sheets and comforter.

My baby brother, Zeke had been crying all night. My mommy just had him a few weeks ago and it was now on me and my older brother, Aiyden, to help take care of him.

My dad was out of the country for a business trip, and wouldn't be back until next year.

I laid down and grabbed my stuffed bear, Toni.
As soon as I closed my eyes, I was startled by the noise of breaking glass.

"Mommy? Aiyden?" I called out. No reply. I peeped out of the door and Zeke's bedroom door was open.

I grabbed my bear and walked out into the hallway, before going into his room to see if maybe something fell.

But he wasn't in his crib.

I shrugged it off, thinking that maybe my mom or brother got him to feed or change him.
But that didn't explain the broken glass by his window.

"Aiyden, did you take Zeke? There's glass in his room." I spoke softly, looking into my brothers room.

"What? Ayah, he's not in there?" He furrowed his eyebrows, looking down at 6 year old me. I shook my head, and he looked mortified.

"Oh, God, please. Look, go in my room and don't leave until I tell you." He demanded. I nodded and sat on his bed, looking around his room decorated with anything to do with football.

Around 30 minutes passed, and I was about to fall asleep when Aiyden ran back into the room, sweat running down his face.

"A- Ayah, go tell mom that Zeke is gone. I'm gonna call the police and I don't want you to leave her sight."

"Huh? He's gone?" I asked, my heart beating a little faster.

"Just go! Tell her!" He yelled, pushing past me and downstairs.
I ran into my moms room and jumped on her bed.
Tears were filling my eyes.

"Mommy! Mommy!" I cried, shaking my mama out of her sleep.
"What-"

"Zeke! Zeke is gone! He- he got taken and he's gone mommy!" I cried even louder, as my older brother, Aiyden, ran the streets of Brooklyn to find my baby brother.