Dishes

"Oh God." Tsukauchi mumbled, a couple tears escaping his eyes. 

"My, well this certainly was not…" Nezu slowly trailed off. There were too many words he could use but none would fully envelope what they just saw. 

Toshinori was bawling from behind Nezu, Tsukauchi was attempting to wrap his head around the events they just observed. 

Almost three full days of video surveillance and the lack of food, water, and oxygen had killed two UA kids and a villain. But Shinso and Midoriya had refused to lose hope. 

Aizawa was also feeling a mass amount of emotions. So much had just happened, so much had come to light in the camera's video footage. His personal student who he had invested his free time and training into…had died. The same student he had allowed in on the case, watching Toga and getting to know her. 

Heck, Aizawa felt he had watched Shinso grow from a saddened, despondent teen who had always viewed himself as nothing but someone who dreamed too big: someone who dreamed to be a hero. But recently, the purple haired teen had begun to believe in himself and allowed his previously suppressed sarcastic personality to have free reign. Aizawa was proud of Shinso for becoming comfortable and confident within his own skin--with his own quirk. 

And Midoriya. He had been a problem child through and through, but his morals were always aligned. His persistence and drive was what made and broke him. He wanted to save everyone and he had faith that everyone could do good. He would stray from rules if he thought he could save someone outside the realm of the law. 

But it all made sense after the video. From what they gathered, Midoriya had actively partook in harming himself. The video was too grainy to figure out to what degree but from Shigaraki's reaction, the mutilation was bad. Aizawa felt as if he failed his students. 

Toshinori felt as if he completely failed his so--successor. As someone who had been quirkless before Nana gave him One for All, he completely understood some of the emotions that ransacked one's brain. He understood how the bullying went. But when he looked at Midoriya, he didn't see someone who had been bullied relentlessly. 

Midoriya always seemed relatively happy, excited to be a hero and he had determination like no other. But then again, didn't All Might always save people with a smile too?

The reality of how much Toshinori had accidentally overlooked felt like a punch to the gut. 

Tsukauchi looked over at his blonde friend, the latter had begun gripping his hair and pulling on it. The detective slowly moved his shaking hand to the pro hero's wrist and gently tried to move it away. 

He gave a watery smile to the pro, attempting to show that the hero shouldn't tear himself apart over everything that just happened. Yet they had learned a lot. Yes they had seen some horrible events unfold, yes they just saw two teens and a young adult in their dying moments still hoping to be saved by people who couldn't reach them fast enough…

Heck, they still weren't able to reach them yet, the rubble was so compact in some areas, one section took hours at a time so shift through.

But heros going down the path of self loathing before their job is done, that would be unhelpful. There were still things the four of them had to do. 

"We need to inform Mrs. Midoriya and Mr. Shinso. I suspect you both, as personal trainers, go to the respective houses. Take a copy of the tape…" Nezu trailed off, maw set in a frown as his eyes hardened. "They deserve to know what happened and they deserve to have final say on whatever happens next." It was a somber little speech, one that Nezu was getting no joy out of whatsoever. His sadistic side was mellowed. 

They had lost two amazing heroes in training. 

They had lost two wonderful kids. 

Three people who had been dealt a foul set of cards had been killed. 

And Nezu was still fuming that it was his plan that failed and resulted in the deaths of three individuals, two of which were children under his watch. 

He was unaware of Toshinori and Aizawa finally leaving the room after Tsukauchi connected their phones onto UA's server to download the tapes. 

Nezu pushed his face into his paws and sighed. There was a lot to think about right now. 

……………………………………………….

Mrs. Midoriya had all her nails torn to the quick, the skin around them bloodied from a bad nervous habit. The news was playing from the other room--she didn't dare turn it off after the building collapsed, even though there was no new information or breaking news. 

She couldn't tell if that was good or bad yet. 

Instead she just busied herself on cleaning the small amounts of dishes she had in her sink. 

It had been a relatively quiet night, and even the neighbors throughout the apartment made no noise. No phones rang through the still hallways. No birds were chirping on the telephone wires outside. The world was still and silent except for the almost inaudible murmer of the television, the light gushing of the tap water and the soft clinking of dishes hitting each other as Inko scrubbed a plate. 

Suddenly a knock from the front door sounded. The abrupt noise made Inko flinch. She slowly put her rag on the counter as well as the plate back in the sink. She could re-wash it later. She put her frail hands under the tap, watching as the water rolled down her sudsy hands. After that she reached for a towel and dried them. 

Her steps were light as she made her way to he front door. 

For whatever reason, she had a bad feeling in the depths of her gut. 

Inko didn't want to open that door. 

But she did. And she was left standing in confusion. "Oh…hello, Tohsinori?" She began, confusion and fear bubbling up in the pit of her stomach.