Chapter VIII

Ross sat in the corner of the room in a chair taken from his office, watching Isla sleep and making the decision of riding out and calling his friend for aid, but he didn't really want to it was too cold and wet, besides his loyal steed would end up slipping in the mud or wet terrain.

Isla slept through the night peacefully, Ross had nodded off in the chair, but was woken up by Isla's moans. "Isla, Isla" he called softly and got up padding over to the bed, he rested his hand on her arm and she nearly hit him. But she woke up to his grip.

"I am sorry Ross" she told him.

"It's okay" He answered. "What were you dreaming about?" He inquired sitting on the bed next to her.

"My father, and the punishments he used to deliver to me" She answered.

"You're safe here" He told her, pulling her onto his chest gently and wrapped his strong arms around her, she just buried her head into it and rested one hand on his chest, and they both fell asleep for the rest of the night.

Isla was still asleep, and Ross had to leave early so he slipped out from under under his sleeping lover, and got ready for the day. As soon as the sun rose, Ross and Jud were both in the field working hard. But as soon as the sun rose to its highest, Ross unbuttoned his cotton shirt and took it off, throwing it onto the floor, to reveal his well built torso, his muscles rippled as his strong arms swung the scythe, the sun shone on his perfect body, beads of sweat soon collected on his brow, it soon dripped down his body and glittered like raindrops dribbling down the windows of a carriage.

Isla woke up and just happened to gaze out of the window and caught sight of Ross, she couldn't help but admire him and she leant on the windowsill of their room and stared out at Ross. She then needed some fresh air and walked out to the field, with a shawl around her shoulders and hugging her sides.

"Ross" she called.

"Good afternoon how are you feeling?" he asked, putting the scythe down.

"A little bit better, but not enough to stay out here with you" Isla answered.

Ross pulled her in for a rather sweaty hug. "Ohl Ross" She said.

"What?" He inquired.

"No I am just so lucky to have found you" she replied, brushing his hair out of his face and tucking it behind his ear. But Isla heard a horse galloping over and it was no one else than his cousin Francis.

"So the rumours are true!" he exclaimed, then turned his great steed around and headed back to his estate.

"Francis stop!" Ross cried.

But he just kept galloping back to his estate ignoring his cousins calls, Jud fetched his masters horse and Ross had picked up his shirt and shrugged it back on, his fingers fiddling with the buttons. "Go back into the house and rest" he ordered Isla.

So she did as she was told, Ross galloped frantically after his cousin, his horse was panting and foaming at the mouth by the time he reached the estate but Ross was too late, Francis had already begun to spread cruel and nasty rumours about his 'dear' cousin. Ross dismounted his horse and didn't knock on the door like a gentleman, he pushed the door open, so I opened with a loud bang and swung on its hinges.

"My Ross you always did know how to make an entrance" Francis told him.

"Is it true about you and your kitchen staff?" George asked walking out of the shadows.

"What business is it of yours?" Ross asked, tearing his gaze away from Francis and Glaring at George.

"You've tarnished the family name!" Ross' father exclaimed.

"That's hard to believe when you married the woman I loved off to my cousin" Ross snarled.

"She thought you were dead, she was deeply distressed and we decided the best plan to stop her tears pouring for you, was to marry her to Francis" His father explained.

Ross could feel the rage building up inside of him, he soon thought his family was not worth quarrelling with and stormed out of the house, and mounted his steed as a clap of thunder rung out across the land. His horse whinnied "easy boy" he whispered softly and stroked the horses velvet neck

The rain poured once again, Jud took Ross' horse and Ross wandered into the house, Prudy was in the kitchen and Isla resting, Ross lit his fire and oil lamps in his study and continued the work on the mine plan.

Then at 19:00pm Ross heard a little pitter patter of feet on the bold floorboards of the hall, the squeaky door handle was pushed down and in wandered Isla.

"My dear" he said as she walked in, she approached the desk and brushed her fingers over his hand delicately, then walked behind his dark oak chair and massaged his shoulders. Ross rested his head back on the chair enjoying the moment of relaxation, he then pulled her around gently and she was now sat on his lap. 

She took his hat off and set it down on the desk softly, she kissed his cheek and then his neck, but he pushed her off him. "What's wrong?" Isla asked concernedly. "Do I not please you anymore?" She panicked.

"No, you do but it was just Francis and Charles" he replied.

"I'll fetch your liquor" Isla said and walked over to his cupboard to retrieve it, she picked up one glass and set it in front of him.

"No join me" he insisted, so she picked up another glass. She sat opposite him, Ross poured the dark liquid into the glass and began to tell her what happened at the estate.

"But I thought you didn't care?" She reminded him.

"I don't. But I do if its my own family turning against me!" He exclaimed, knocking back his third glass.

Please vote and comment