Chapter XX

Isla and Ross both walked the grounds of Trenwith, his arm wrapped tightly around hers. Not many words to be shared, but affectionate touches and glances were enough. They sat under the blossom tree, its pink petals falling like snow. It decorated the path, and landed in Islas hair Ross plucked the petals from it and dropped them onto the ground. 

"I wish we could stay here for eternity," Ross said, leant his head on her shoulder and intertertwined their hands. 

"Me too, but we must return soon," Isla replied smiling. "Your steed has missed you, but I have been taking care of him." 

"It would be nice to see him again," he said. 

"Well how about we go for a ride on the beach when you are strong enough?" Isla suggested. "Breathe in the sea air, clear your lungs," she pecked his cheek. "May help you heal faster." 

"You're right," he smiled. 

"Hopefully we can leave in a day or two," Isla said. 

"I would like to leave now," he said. 

"Ross, you are not strong enough," she reminded him. 

"Yes I am," he said standing but for only a few seconds till he was forced back down again. 

"No you're not," she said and wrapped her arm around his waist. "But you will be one day. Come let's walk a bit more," she gently pulled him off the stone bench. They wandered by the pond, staring into their rippling reflections in the liquid glass. The sun was high and bounced off it blinding the onlookers. They slowly continued their afternnon walk basking in the heat. Isla still wasn't used to the life of the regal. 

"One day we may live this well," Ross said glancing at her. 

"That's one day, how about living in the now?" she asked. 

"It was a passing thought and I wished to share it," Ross said. Isla smiled and kissed his lips gently.  

"Just enjoy the time where we are now, we can worry about such trivial things another time," she replied. They sat down on the grass together Ross laying on Islas torso, she gently brushed her figners through his hair as they stared up at the sky. He twirled a daisy around in his fingers, bird song filled their silence. Footsteps soon interrupted their tranquillity. 

"Are you two going to be out here all night?" Elizabeth asked.

"I was planning to," Isla said. 

"I don't think that would be good for Ross," she said. 

"I was being sarcastic," Isla replied sharply. 

"Oh, well, very good then. But I think it's about time he rests," she insisted. Ross remained silent and watched as the two women discussed him. Isla stood up and helped Ross off the ground. 

"Fine lets go inside," Isla grumbled and helped him into the house,  Isla took him into the drawing room and sat him in front of the roaring fire. She grabbed the blanket from the basket by the table and threw it over Ross softly. 

"Are you staying with me?" He asked grabbing her hand, Isla glanced over at Elizabeth who left them. 

"Yes," Isla replied and sunk into the arm chair next to him.