Chapter X

To all my lovely readers thank you all for the reads, the votes and the comments, it means so much to me. If there's any ideas you want me to include please let me know. Again thank you :)

Jess halted the horse over looking the bay, the wind blew her hair in the wind including her horses mane, she was watching the sun rise over the Cornish coast. It reminded her of the colour of fire, the fire that burnt out her house in Paris and both of her children perished with it.

She heard the snort of a horse behind her. "Why are you up so early?" A deep husky voice asked behind her.

"I couldn't sleep" she answered, Ross rode up next to his sister.

"Why didn't you tell me that my niece and nephew died?" he asked.

"Because Ross you hadn't been in contact with me for years, till now in fact and with what you're going through I didn't want to make it any worse" she explained to him.

"How did they die?" he asked.

"Ross I don't want to..." But he cut her off.

"How?" He pressed her.

"House fire." She answered.

"Didn't you try to save them?" he asked.

"Yes, Ross I tried but you weren't there and neither was Michael, just as I got to the stairs the ceiling fell in, someone ran in and grabbed me around my waist pulling me out of the house but 2 men rushed in and tried to save my children but they only bought me the corpses as the smoke had already suffocated them...." she paused with tears dribbling down her cheeks she wiped them away with the sleeves of her dress.

"I am sorry I wasn't there when you needed me." He said resting a hand on the shoulder of his sister comfortingly.

"It's okay Ross." She replied, then nudged her horse in the hard ribs, he reared up and then galloped off. "Race you!" She yelled. He just smiled and followed, it was just like when they were younger and raced across the cliffs, Ross always lost and his sister always won, it was like history was repeating itself. By the time they reached Ross' home the sun was only warming the earth and Isla was only waking up.

She heard the horses trotting back, Isla raced out to Ross as he dismounted and he wrapped her in a hug, Jess smiled and led the horses in to the barn untacking them, while Ross and Isla walked inside. Jud just walked in as she was setting the tack down from both horses, then feeding them and once done, she sat down and began cleaning the tack.

"Why were you up so early, my love?" Isla asked padding into the bedroom.

"I needed to find my sister as there was something wrong." He replied setting his coat and hat down on the bed.

"Anything important?" She inquired.

"No." He quickly replied, striding over to Isla closing the gap between Ross and her, he tipped her chin up to look at him and both their lips crashed together.

"I love you" She told him.

"I love you too" he told Isla.

Jess was just finishing up with the tack, when she walked in biting into an apple. "Guys shut your door." She cried, slamming their door making Ross and Isla smile to one another.

Jess saw the locket laying on the side with the two paintings of her son and daughter in, she clasped it around her neck and then helped Prudy in the kitchen. "Jess you don't need to help me." She insisted.

"No I do." Jess replied. "You took care of Ross and I when we were younger please allow me to help you." She reminded her.

Isla came into the kitchen and addressed Jess "I am going down to the market and I am wondering if you would like to come with me?"

"Er..." She answered then looked at Prudy.

"Go on go." She insisted.

So Jess grabbed her coat and they made their way down to the market, everyone staring at them, she didn't care but Isla was conscious at everyone staring at them.

"Ignore them" Jess advised her.

They walked to the market and Isla began to buy the things Prudy needed to make the supper for tonight. "Ohl if its not Ross' sister come to save the family relationship" George mocked her.

"Ohl as if it isn't the trouble maker, who tries to influence my cousin with the bad decisions and schemes" she commented.

"Touché" He replied quietly looking away from Jess and then to Isla.

"What brings you here?" She asked.

"Just gazing over the market" He replied. "Can a man not do just that?" He added.

"Can a man choose his lover without being judged?" Isla spoke up.

"It depends, someone as poor as you. Ross deserves to be judged" He growled.

"That's enough. You sir need to know your place" Jess snarled walking in front of Isla.

"I will take my leave, ladies" He said and then bowed leaving Isla and Jess to stare after him, he could feel their gaze beginning to burn into his back.

"Don't listen to him, come on let's get what we need and let's head home" Jess said to her.

"Has Ross bought you your own steed yet?" Jess inquired.

"No" She replied.

"Come with me" Jess told her tugging her by her arm, she took Isla to the finest Liveryard and horse courser she had ever known. There were horses grazing on either side of them, all different patterns, colours, and sizes.

"If its not Jessminta, my favourite customer" He greeted them. "Where's the Friesian I sold you years ago?" He asked.

"At my brothers farm, now my Isla inconsiderately forgot to buy her a horse and she will need one" Jess explained to him.

"Are you looking for a particular breed?" He asked.

"No, I just need a horse that would get me from A to B" Lily answered.

"Come I will show you my best horses" The horse dealer said to the girls. He lead them into a barn where horses all head their heads leaning over their polished doors, all the horses looking at them but Lily saw many nice well presented horses, but the one she liked the most was a shining ivory white mare with a long grey wavy mane and tail, with a black muzzle and 4 socks, the mare was an Lusitano.

"Did you want to give her a trial ride to see if she is right for you?" The horse courser asked. "Just wait outside and I will tack her up and bring her out to you" He explained.

So a few minutes later and he led the mare out, who seemed very energetic but she stood still as Lily got onto her back, she took up the mares reins and then trotted her around the estate, Lily could keep her under control and the mare didn't snatch the reins if she wanted her own head, she obeyed every little nudge Lily gave her in the ribs. She came trotting back to Jess and the horse courser.

"I'll take her" Lily answered and Jess paid for the mare.

"You ride back to Ross and I'll walk back" Jess instructed her.

Please vote and comment