Chapter XIV

Ross had accepted the death of his sister, but was determined to find the killer and he wouldn't rest till he did, he stayed up late into the night. Isla tried to stay so she could comfort him but he always insisted that she go to bed as she needed her rest. He went through different people who would be likely to kill his sister.

Isla couldn't sleep and she was missing her lover not laying next to her, so she dragged herself off the bed and then walked into the study where Ross' head was on the desk, she crept around and rested her hand on his back. "Ross come on, come to bed" She said and began to rub his back. He mumbled as he woke up and his long hair had fallen in his face. Ross reluctantly pushed the chair back and then followed Isla to their bedroom, he collapsed on the bed and Isla pulled his boots off and then took his jacket off, and Ross climbed under the covers with Isla.

"Who do you think would want to kill my sister?" He inquired turning over to look at Isla.

"Ross I know as much as you do. Has she done anything to anyone who would want to kill her?" Isla quizzed him.

"No, but perhaps George killed her" He stated sitting up.

"Just because you don't trust him doesn't mean you can accuse him of killing your sister" Isla reminded him.

"But he came later to the ball" He reminded her.

"Yes he told you that the wheel on the carriage was broken and needed to he replaced" Isla reminded him.

"You didn't leave anything of yours outside Ross' house when you pushed his sister to her death did you George?" His friend asked as he joined him in his front room with a glass of sherry in his hand.

"No I didn't" He answered.

"You do realise that Ross is going to try and find the killer right, and knowing the relationship between you two, all the evidence probably points to you and he will accuse you, all you need to do is deny it" He told him.

"I am telling you Isla all the evidence points to George, besides I found his fathers pocket watch next to her body" Ross finished.

"My dear friend Francis have you seen my fathers pocket watch I can't find it anywhere, as I thought I had it when I came to your home for the ball?" George inquired.

"No my fellow we haven't seen anything" He answered, Elizabeth Francis' fiancé walked in.

"I hope I am not disturbing anything" She said.

"No no my dear, you're not disturbing anything" Francis answered walking over and kissing her cheek.

"I can't believe that Jess is dead, I hope they find the killer as she didn't deserve to die" Elizabeth expressed her opinion.

"Well don't we all" George smiled uncomfortably, shuffling from one foot to the other.

"Have we said something to offend you dear friend?" Francis panicked.

"No, no. It was just I was hoping to wed Jess, I loved her" He lied, forcing tears from his eyes and collapsing into the arm chair, if this act didn't work, he didn't know what would, he managed to make himself cry in a convincing manner.

"Oh George if we knew you felt about her in that way, we would hand arranged a courtship for you both" Elizabeth said feeling a little guilty. Inside George was smiling as this 'little act' now had him off the suspects list.

"You know that George will deny any accusations you throw his way don't you?" Isla reminded Ross.

"I know, but it makes perfect sense" He answered.

"Are you sure you're not just making things up for the hatred that you feel towards George are you?" Isla confronted him.

"No" He answered standing up and knocking Jess' death certificate on the creaking floor, he looked down on the floor and stopped mid step, then crouched and picked up the certificate and his fingers danced over his sisters name, his tears frosted over his eyes like snow on a window.

"Ross?" Isla asked, gently resting her hand on his tense muscular shoulders.

"I can't believe she's gone" He said. "She was there for most of life" He added.

"I know Ross, I know" She replied trying her best to comfort her lover.

"That's the thing Isla you don't, you don't realise how close we really were" He yelled standing up the death certificate shaking in his grip of anger.

"Ross I am...sorry" Isla stuttered from fear of Ross lashing out at her and beating Isla, like her father used to.

"Leave me" He growled.

"Ross..." Isla began but was cut off by Ross.

"Leave me" He shouted, his veins on his neck standing up, Isla glided out of the room with tears tickling her eyes, she rested her hand on the copper handle of the door and paused.

"Ross...!" But she couldn't finish, she had a lump in her throat which was constricting her voice box like a python constricting its prey, and that was when a monsoon of tears dribbled down her face, she ran through the house using the sleeve of her dress to wipe her nose, she made her way to the stable.

Jud just watched her run to the stable, her horse could sense she was upset, so she tacked it up and galloped out of the stable. Ross was now leaning on his desk in his study, he was trying to take breaths in order to calm down.

A thunder clap erupted outside and it woke Ross from his thoughts. "Isla!" He whispered.

"Prudy, Jud saddle my horse!" He yelled. So Ross put the death certificate down and strode towards the stable, Jud was just leading Darkie out.

"Which way did she go?" He inquired.

"That way" Jud pointed.

Darkie reared up and then galloped off, they galloped off after Isla, Ross spent an hour looking for Isla, and they finally found her overlooking the beach, she heard the horses hooves and turned her horse around to face the person, both horses heads touching, but Isla was directly next to him.

"Isla, I am sorry I shouted at you, but Jess' death has got to me. But please remember I love you and I would do nothing to hurt you" He reassured her and rested his hand on her cheek gently and she leaned her head into it.

"Ross I forgive you and love you to" She replied.

Please vote and comment