Brave

Hey! Here is the new chapter, hope y'all enjoy!

Bruce's POV

I push my way through the frantic chaperones and bustling kids towards Apollo, Dick a step behind me. 

Apollo is shivering violently, breathing unsteady and shallow as he looks down at the girl he saved with glazed eyes. I run as fast as I can manage in the panicked crowd of recent hostages towards my godson and colleague. 

The police and field medics have arrived at the scene, a group of them taking the young girl from Apollo's shaking limbs gently and loading her onto a stretcher. 

I reach them just as Clark removes his cape and wraps it around Apollo's frail shoulders, carefully taking my godson into his arms in a secure hold. 

Clark looks at me, and I can tell there is a lot he wants to ask, but he knows better than to bring up his questions now. 

"Later," I say quietly, before looking down at Apollo who is staring blankly ahead. 

I reach up to my headset and contact Alfred. 

"Alfred, the situation is resolved. Prep the medical equipment, Apollo's in shock. We'll take care of him at home, I think it's safer there for him, anyway."

"Understood, sir. I'll be waiting."

I end the call and look back at Clark. 

"Can you handle the situation here?"

The man gains a serious look and nods. 

"I'll take care of it." He looks down at Apollo with a soft look as he hands him over to me, petting his head gingerly before letting go and stepping back. 

Dick stays close to my side, watching Apollo worriedly while I adjust him in my arms. We manage to make it to the limo without being stopped by anyone, and I set Apollo in between us, his head in my lap and feet draping over Dick. 

Clark will handle the situation; I trust him to tie up loose ends. 

I rest my hand in my godson's soft locks in reassurance. 

I'll handle the protection of my family.

The limo takes off in the direction of Wayne Manor as Apollo dozes fitfully in my lap.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apollo's POV

Consciousness returns to me slowly, but once it does, I'm assaulted with the memories. 

The yelling. The screaming. The gunshot. The girl. It all comes rushing back. 

I want to go back to sleep. 

I don't want to open my eyes. I don't want it to be real. 

Sure, I saved that little girl. At least, I think I did. 

But she wouldn't even have been hurt if it wasn't for me. 

Why was I such a coward? Why didn't I do anything?! I could have prevented that little girl from getting hurt, but I just froze!

WHY!!

My closed eyes sting, and someone reaches over to gently brush away my tears. 

"Apollo." Bruce whispers sadly. 

I don't know why he's sad. He's not the one that almost got a little girl killed. 

No, wait, I DID get her killed. I just fixed it with my stupid power.