| NINE

MEA LIBERTAS MEUS CANOR

. . .

SURPRISINGLY, the walk down the mountain was short. They reached the city bridge in record time. The Pidoves returned but poor little Timmie hadn't. Ash had no time to ponder as Venti rushed forward.

"We're close to Springvale." He pointed at the row of houses. "I just hope Diona isn't there. That prissy Delcatty hates me to the core. And I didn't even do anything to her." He grumbled.

They reached the village. It was a peaceful and idyllic suburban town with dirt roads and one-story brown houses with blue-tiled roofs. It's guarded by a single windmill, which stands above a naturally occurring spring. Few townsfolk were present outside, they waved and exchanged pleasantries with them.

"So far so good..." Venti muttered. Ash wondered how bad Venti's relationship with the Delcatty was for him to be on guard most of their time in the quaint village. They passed Springvale and reached a small lake. Venti was back joyful as ever, skipping lightly on the dirt path. Until...

"Hiss!" Something hissed from the lake.

"Gahh!! Leave me alone you cat!" And out the door goes his cool.

Ash searched the area and found the perpetrator on a small rock in the middle of the lake, staring menacingly at Venti. It was a Delcatty, but instead of the normal purple, it had red accents around its body. Diona, he figured.

"Sorry! Sorry, Venti." Someone ran up to them, apologizing on his way.

"Draff, when will that... thing, leave me alone?" He hid himself behind Ash. Pikachu was snickering on his shoulder.

"So sorry, Venti. She likes most people but... us..." He replied while his Pokémon, Ash assumed, fought fang and nail to be free.

"Pika-pikapi chupi" He tried to converse with the cat Pokémon. "Del! Delca Delcatty!" It sounded more irritated than angry.

His partner let out a long 'Pika' and attempted to walk the way to the winery himself. "H-hey! What did she say!?" Venti ran up the Pokémon and attempted to have a talk with him.

"Pika pikachupi. Pikapi chupi, chupi pi pika~"

With a confused face, Venti looked back at its trainer. "What did he say?"

"How would I know? I'm not Meowth." He replied.

"What's a Meowth...?"

Ash brushed the question off and followed his partner down the road. Venti was dejectedly following behind him. A sour look plastered on his face.

They reached the estate of one of Mondstadt's prominent households. The place is filled with the scent of grapes and wine. Not surprising since rows and rows of grapevines were put up all around the area. Ash could see a few Crystalflies idly flapping among the row of grapes. A river could be seen on the left side, a steep cliff along with it. A large imposing, red-roofed, two-story manor stood in the middle of the vinefields.