Chapter 16: "Jungle Rules"

"We're not in school anymore," Corey said with a dopey gleam in his eye. "Here, I make the rules."

"I thought you said there were no rules in the jungle," Zack Curry said. Zack always hung out with Corey, along with Bobby Martinez, who was here too. They were like the Bermuda Triangle of stupid.

"There are no rules in the jungle!" Corey barked. "That's the first rule! The second rule is, I make the rules." Turning back to me, he said, "And Nort and Chip just broke the most important rule: No trespassing!"

"Wait a minute!" I cried. "Pik Manose is the Student Body President. So he makes the rules."

Corey just laughed and called out over his shoulder, "Hey, Pik, do you make the rules or do I?"

I noticed that Pik Manose was locked in a bamboo tiger cage. "You make the rules, Corey! Can you let me out now?"

"No!" Corey shouted. "Now shut your face or I got another nuclear noogie with your name on it!"

As you can see, things weren't looking very good for me and Chip.

Suddenly, Bobby Martinez's eyes lit up. "Hey, they've got chocolate chip cookies!"

All the kids ran to grab our stash - but Chip immediately stepped in their way. "Hands off the cookies!" he hissed.

The kids backed away, Chip being bigger than all of them. But then Corey sneered, saying, "There's one of him and ten of you! What're you afraid of, wimps?"

"I'm here too!" I insisted, standing alongside Chip to defend our cookie stash.

Corey chuckled. "Okay, one and a half against ten."

So all the boys jumped Chip! At first, he was throwing them off, one by one. But they kept coming back, and soon Chip couldn't fight them off anymore. And Corey was right about me. I wasn't much help. When you're fighting for your life in the jungle, a big brain sometimes just gets in the way.

The mob of boys finally got to the bag of cookies, and they devoured them in seconds. Zack Curry turned to me. "Uh... you got any milk?"

I told him no. Actually, I had fourteen cartons of milk in the trunk of the C.H.I.P.-mobile, but I wasn't going to tell him that.

Speaking of the C.H.I.P.-mobile, Corey finally took a good look at it. "Hey, what's with the cool car?"

"I've seen this before," said Bobby. "Yeah, it's the hero guy's car!"

Corey glared at me. "What're you doing with the hero guy's car?" he demanded.

I had to think fast. "No way, this isn't the hero guy's car," I said, making up a story as fast as I could. "This is my dad's! You know how Dad's always saving half the town while destroying the other half? Well, this is the car he uses to destroy the other half."

"Whoa, cool!" Corey said, looking the C.H.I.P.-mobile over. Then he jumped into the driver's seat and started fooling with everything! "How does it work?"

I quickly jumped into the passenger seat to try to head off disaster. "Don't touch anything! I mean, only I know how to operate it."

"Me too!" said Chip. "I like pushing all the buttons!"

But it was too late. Corey pushed a button, and the Rope-erang shot out and tied up Bobby Martinez. Corey cracked up and immediately looked for more buttons to push and levers to pull. "Hey, this is fun!" he said as he pulled the trigger for the Sticky Net Launcher. It shot a sticky net out and trapped all the other boys. "HA HA, look at all you losers!" he said as the boys struggled to get free.

I cracked a smile and said, "Who's the loser now?"

Chip, now free of the mob of boys, lifted up Corey by the back of his shirt. "Hey! Put me down!" Corey screamed.

"Sure thing," Chip said and dropped him in a mud puddle.

Then I hit the gas, saying, "Guess the nuclear noogie will have to wait!" and we took off back into the jungle.