Chapter Seven

JASHYAH'S P.O.V.

Our attentions were now on the front door across from the couch. No, no. The person or people lurking on the other side. Right when our eyes locked on the door, we heard three more knocks. They almost sounded similar to bangs. I was hesitant to even peer out the window to see whoever was there. The stranger or strangers could notice me, having the confirmation that this house was occupied. Maybe they would leave when they knew. Or not. Maybe they would change their plans. Maybe they would do more than rob the Knights.

Or they were not planning to steal. They were aware of our presences. They wanted to do something horrible - unimaginable - to us. But they could not get the chance because I was not opening that wooden door. I was not born yesterday. Irina is a bit immature, but she is not a moron either. We were not opening the door no matter what.

But we did. No. I did.

Irina did not panic. But she had on a worried look. Her eyes darted up at the alarm clock on the wall, and then back at me. "Somebody should check who it is, Jasyah. The roommate should. She might know who it is. I will fetch her." She jumped to her feet.

I grabbed her arm and slapped my book on the couch's armchair. I shoved myself off the couch. "I will check. I do not want us to disturb her. We can handle it with no problems. If the person - or people - do not go, then we will have the hospital send the police over."

She jerked away her arm. "But...what if our mysterious roommate knows that person or group? They might be her friends. She might have invited them to spend time together. Have some company." She leaned to the side, putting all her weight on one leg. "You would probably have guessed that if you had your own friends."

I was taken aback. I blinked twice. I frowned. "I cannot believe that came out of your mouth, Irina. I know how immature you can get, but...that comment was hurtful. Spiteful. And totally unnecessary."

She sighed and gazed down at her hands. She twiddled her thumbs. "Sorry. It was only a joke."

I stormed past her and to the small window next to the door. Both fists were clenched. My arms were swinging back and forth. "What is smooth like ice to you will not be for others, such as your only sister. You should have learned that at school."

She spun around and trotted to the stairs. "I said sorry. Gosh. What more do you want from me, Jashyah? I am already stressed about tryouts."

I unclenched my fists and grabbed the curtain tightly. I would take advantage of my anger before my fear crept back to control. "Where are you going?"

Irina grabbed the wooden railing and frowned back. "I can go wherever I want. I am old enough to make good judgment. I do not need your permission."

"This is not your home. Our home. You cannot wander around and touch their things." I gazed into her brown eyes and pointed at her. "No moving their stuff around or eating their food."

"The Knights said that we may help ourselves to all the sufficient food. You might not remember because your brain is the size of a—"

"Irina."

"...pea. A baby pea. This would explain why you cannot ice-skate. Maybe tumbling on the ice too many times is why you have a pea-sized brain."

I growled. "Only people with pea-sized brains state the stupidest and most insensitive things like that. Most of these people are bullies. If anyone here has a pea-sized brain, it is you."

"I would be if I was not such a brilliant ice-skater!" She disappeared upstairs.

"I know that you are stressed about tryouts, but it does not excuse you treating me like crub!" I muttered some stuff that I am not proud of as I slowly pulled back said curtain. A sharp cry flew from my throat. I released the long curtain and staggered back, but I steadied myself. "The heck...?"

On the other side of the glass was a young girl. She was surprised when I cried out. She did not seem scary - or high on apple juice. But why was she here this late? My sister could be correct. The roommate might know this curious girl. She might be her friend.

Before I could yell Irina's name, I heard loud footsteps. I gazed up at the staircase. Irina was scampering down them. For a brilliant ice-skater, she sure struggles with running up and down steps. Once, she lost her balance halfway down the steps and landed on her head. Thank goodness that she suffered only a concussion - and was blessed with a hard head like our writer's.

"I heard your cry. Did you see who is at the front door? Who is it? Are they scary-looking?"

One last knock on the door. "Mr. and Mrs. Knight? It is Winnie."

Irina and I stood next to each other and stared intently at the door. "Do you have a friend named Winnie?"

"If I did, I would have swung open the door and tugged her in."

I brushed my hair back. "Either that girl forgot that the Knights would be on vacation - or they did not disclose it to her."

"Why would they not give her the heads-up? If they are friends with her."

"Maybe they forgot."

"How can you forget mentioning your vacation to your loved ones? Unless that they wanted nobody to know." She smoothed out her pink dress. "Nobody except you. A complete stranger. But that makes no sense."

I walked to the door.

"Jashyah. Are the Knights hiding something?"

I ignored her. "Hello? Winnie?"

"Yes. Who is this? You do not sound like Mrs. Knight."

"What do you want?"