Chapter 18 || Test

Another week passed and Sakura reflected on the weirdness of the dinner with her old sensei, how although they had not fully mended the bridge between them, the night had been almost civil. She also marvelled at Genma's mother-henny overprotectiveness whenever she left the house, laughed at how awkward and suddenly shy Chōjūrō became while living with her and Genma, and made sure no one was giving Shikamaru shit for offering up the Kubikiribocho.

Currently, she was standing before the Hokage, Shikamaru to her right, while the Godaime stared at them over her steepled fingers.

"So," Tsunade began, settling back in her chair. "you two have given me a multitude of headaches over the last few weeks. You're now here so we can go through them and see if your written reports add up."

She plucked up a folder and pulled it open, flicking through the pages before she looked up at them. "Diplomatic mission to Suna was a success. I've received a written confirmation from the interim Kazekage that he accepts the proposed treaty. Good job on that." When she saw Sakura and Shikamaru's smug grins at the news, she wagged her finger. "Ah, ah, ah! Not so fast. I've also received a complaint about you threatening one of the Sand's Nobles and all but antagonising an Elder. Mei has said your methods were rather upfront, especially yours, Haruno, but you might need to assume a more diplomatic approach in the future. Not everyone finds being called an idiot by a couple of baby-faced chunin amusing." She said, and Sakura scowled.

"I can't believe they snitched on us." She grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring at the window. "I bet the 'Noble' who complained was Chiyo. The old bat had it out for us since the beginning."

"Mmhm." Shikamaru agreed, "And the Elder might be the one who asked you if you were listening during that first meeting. I don't think she liked your response. It was..."

"A bit of a smackdown?" Sakura offered, and delighted in the Nara's snort.

"'A bit' is a serious understatement, but that's an apt description nonetheless." They shared a grin until Tsunade cleared her throat and they snapped to attention.

"As I was saying," the blonde continued pointedly, and Sakura smiled sheepishly. "You might want to think about adjusting your approach. Now then, a successful diplomatic mission makes this an A-Rank. Haruno, this is your fourth. Nara's third, so well done both of you."

The two chunin nodded and prepared to bow, but Tsunade's words stopped them in their tracks. "However, as we well know, unlike the mission to Mist, this one didn't end when you left Suna." Both teens stiffened at her words. "Nara, by successfully evading enemy forces, protecting an Ambassador to Konoha and then taking his case despite it putting you at odds with people within your own Village, yet managing to find a solution that is mutually-beneficial and handling yourself in a professional and mature way, you have added another A-Rank to your name. Congratulations, the money will be available to collect from the missions' desk when you leave my office. The Village thanks you for your service."

Tsunade paused, then turned to Sakura, "Haruno, for successfully evading pursuit for an extended period of time, sacrificing your wellbeing for that of a foreign-nin, protecting him at the cost of your own health, and then ensuring he was welcomed in Konoha, the Village assigns an A-Rank to your records."

Sakura's heart skipped a beat. Her fifth. That means-!

"However, you have also managed to subdue one of your attackers and leave him in a stable enough state that it was then possible to transfer him to T&I and interrogate him. For keeping our Intelligence network up to date, you have earned another B-Rank. Well done."

But Sakura had stopped listening. Shikamaru's slouch also disappeared for a moment as he snapped to attention, sharp brown eyes flickering from their Hokage to his partner.