Chapter 27 || Discourse

"Okay. Neji-san, if you would, could you just run that by me again, please?" Sakura requested, turning so she was sitting cross-legged and facing the brunet.

Neji sighed and settled opposite her. His shoulders were tense and his lilac eyes were hard with resolve. "I want to get rid of the Caged Bird seal." He repeated quietly, and Sakura closed her eyes for a split-second.

When she opened them, she gave Neji her undivided attention. "Why come to me?"

She wasn't expecting the Hyuuga to answer quite so readily. "Because you know politics. Because, being clanless, you can see it from a true outsider's perspective. Because you've clawed your way through the ranks and demanded respect in a way I couldn't match. Because you gouged out the Uchiha's eye when he betrayed you, and didn't cave once when questioned. Because I know I can trust your sense of right and wrong, and the seal is wrong." He paused. "Because, at most, I know you'll warn me before you report me."

Sakura studied the brunet, his posture, the absolute certainty of his conviction, and felt herself begin to smile. "Walk me through it, please. Why now? Why ever?"

So Neji talked.

And the more he talked, the more nauseous Sakura felt. A slavery seal. Approved by the Nidaime, as well. Still in operation, still being applied onto children as young as four years old. It wasn't quite as barbaric as Shimura's ROOT, but it was far closer than it had any right to be.

"I don't want to die for someone who wouldn't do the same for me." Neji concluded, and his resolve was momentarily overcome by bitterness. "I don't want someone to have the power to destroy my mind if I displease them. I don't want to be told that just because I was born to the Branch Family and not the Main, I will always be inherently weaker, that the seal is a failsafe so that our dojutsu isn't stolen. The Main Family can die in battle too," he seethed, looking away, "just because they are from the Main Branch doesn't make them immortal, yet they don't get sealed." He glared at Sakura when he was finished, burning with righteous anger and determination.

She was surprised that he made an effort to school his expression once he realised he was projecting his anger onto her. "I apologise; my... emotions got a hold of me. I have no quarrel with you personally."

Sakura snorted then aimed for a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it." She waved him off, then grew serious. "The way I see it, you can go about it one of two ways." She told him frankly, her smile turning a little more wry when he snapped to attention. "You can force the change from the bottom up, or top down."

Neji frowned, "Explain."

"Bottom up: convince as many of your fellow Branch members to follow you. Perhaps even some more progressive Main Family members. Reach out to other Clans – a lot of our graduating class are Clan Heirs. Tell them what's happening. Make them care. Get their support. Revolt. If enough of you raise your voices, prove that the branch you're born into doesn't dictate your ability, the Main Family would be foolish to ignore your demands." Judging by the expression on Neji's face, he doubted it, but he nodded.

"And the other option?"

Sakura felt her smile turn sharper, more teeth than humour. "Demand change from a position they can't say 'no' to." When all that did was make Neji frown, she elaborated. "Put yourself in the running for Hokage."

The sheer indignation on Neji's face was so comical Sakura couldn't have stopped herself from laughing if she'd tried.

"I've had that suggested to me before." He said at last, though the disbelief on his face didn't fade. "I was expecting something a little more sensible from you, however."