67: No Materialistic Mentality

Staring at the starry sky, Miyu wanders back to earlier. Why did I allow him to kiss me? Why did I kiss him back? This is so messed up. Her eyes search for the moon. A new moon? That means two weeks to a full moon. Since this castle doesn't look any different from dad's it's safe to say I'm still in the demon world. Makai is the name of this world. I've read it in one of the history books. She's disrupted and turns to see a maid entering. 

The woman doesn't say anything but leaves a few boxes on a table along with a vase of flowers. After a bow, she exits the room. 

What is it this time? She unpacks the thin square box and opens it. Where she finds a beautiful jewelry set of earrings and a necklace. Are you trying something? If so, what is it? Hold on! How long am I here? Three days? Is he trying to bribe me or to sweep me off my feet by getting me presents? From another box comes a lovely long dress. A third box has matching pumps to the dress. The fourth box has a swimsuit in it. You know what, I'm not going to wear any of them. You won't be able to pay me to get close to me. I'm not a materialistic girl. She chews her cheek. Yeah, and yet I kissed him hours ago. Just what am I doing? Leaving the presents on the table, she moves back to the window. Looking outside, she lets her thoughts go. Of all the things I've done... how come I go and kiss Karl. Shu, Reiji, Yuma, and the others would turn away from me forever. Maybe after all of this, I should just live with my parents. I can't imagine they would welcome me back home. Where is home? I started living with the Sakamaki men, and I found my place there with them. 

Teleporting inside, Karl noticed his presents open on the table. 'Miyu? Is something wrong?' This is taking too long. Three days, and I barely kissed her. I need to speed things up or just resort to my normal methods? 'Did you not find my note in the flowers?' 

'No.' She answers with one answer. 

'Miyu, there is a ball in a few nights.' He tells her and clenches his hands into fists. 'It's to celebrate an engagement.' 

Who's getting married? Or are you trying to claim me by showing me off? 'I have to pass. How could you possibly guarantee my safety when so many people are coming for this engagement party?' She turns around and crosses her arms. 'And who's engagement party?' 

Ours. 'Details,' he sighs. 'You don't even know everything about Makai and all the subraces. Or the hierarchy. I know you want to learn a few things, so why not a party.' 

'Tempting but no.' She's no fool. Come on, be honest with me and I might do more for you. 'Who knows what will happen at a party. If a lot of guests are coming then it's easier for someone to kidnap me. I understand that you see a lot but you don't have eyes on the back of your head.' 

I will make you mine. But my patience is running out. Why can't I charm you? 'Fine, have it your way.' He leaves her behind and teleports to his study. 

*** 

Let me see. The Mukami kidnapped me first. Then it was Carla and Shin, followed by Kino. My father took me home in between, kidnapping me back. Kino again, and Karl after that. Miyu counts on her fingers. That's a total of six times. Still, I'm the longest here. But how can I get out of here if no one knows where I am. Not to mention, I have nowhere to go but home. "Don't I mean anything to you! Traitor!" Kanato's words haunt her. I'm so sorry, Kanato. Still, you don't know what happened before I bit Carla. You jump to conclusions without asking any questions. She bows her head and sees the garden. She saw the lovely flowers yesterday, but somehow they looked dark rather than bright. Pulling a chair closer to the window, she falls into it. I just wish I knew what is going on? Why is this happening? 

'Miyu?' He noticed the chair by the window. 

She hears his voice. I can't believe I would recognize his voice so quickly. She blows out some air. What is that you want this time? I understand that you can be charming and nice but surely that's because you want something from me. 'Why won't you just be honest with me and tell me what it is that you want?' She doesn't turn to him just yet.