Chapter 1 - Visit

Princess Luna sat down on her yoga mat and took a breath. Her challenging yoga routine was now over, and she could relax. Life at Silver Shoals was going great for Celestia and Luna, the old monarchs of Equestria. They could spend the rest of their long lives in peace, without the daily troubles of court. That was Twilight's job now. 

Suddenly, a blue mist surrounded Luna's yoga room. A menacing laughter echoed through it. Luna fell back in fear. Visits from her past self were never good. Luna's flanks suddenly started hurting as though they were on fire. 

The black inkblot surrounding her crescent moon cutie mark started glowing blue. It emitted a black smoke that mixed with the blue mist until Luna was in the middle of a black-and-blue hurricane. Suddenly, a vision, a spirit looking like a tall pony with a black coat in indigo armor and a long, flowing mane filled with sparkles, just like the blue mist, stepped out of the hurricane.

"Nightmare Moon!" said Luna with disgust and hate. "Yes, it is I, your past self," snickered the spirit. "What do you want from me!" shouted Luna. "Go away! You're no longer a part of me." 

"I will always be a part of you," responded Nightmare Moon slyly. "I'm in your cutie mark. In your destiny." "My destiny was to battle nightmares and raise the moon each night, and now that is finished! My life is comfortable and Twilight rules now. I don't need you." 

"Oh, you might want to take that back. I bring news," said Nightmare, "that may shock you. Hmm, maybe you're not ready." "Tell me why you came and leave me," said Luna. The pain in her flanks eased, and the hurricane stopped, frozen in midair. The clock on the wall stopped ticking. All seemed frozen. All but Luna and her evil reflection, facing each other in the middle of the room. 

"Listen closely," echoed Nightmare Moon's voice. "Much more happened when you were me, much more than anyone assumes. You were joined by Grogar, as the constellation Aries. You spent years together, and your and you bore his child." 

Luna started in shock. She had a child? In space? With Grogar, of all possible mates? After a few minutes of silence, Nightmare Moon continued. "Her name is Rachel. She remains in space to this day. I don't know what you will do, but it seemed like you should know about Grogar and Nightmare Moon's daughter." With that, Nightmare vanished, with all the mist and fog, leaving Luna alone in her room. 

That day, Luna didn't leave her room. Celestia was concerned, but decided Luna just wanted some time alone. In reality, Luna was hidden under the covers, hot but shivering from the message Nightmare Moon brought her, pondering about what to do. 

She could tell everything to Celestia and find a way to release her daughter from the sky prison. Rachel was innocent, as she never committed the crimes her parents were imprisoned for, but if Luna told Celestia, everyone would know she had an illegitimate child with the evil first emperor of Equestria. Besides, who knows? 

Grogar had a millenium to influence Rachel, and if she returned to Earth, she could wreak havoc and plunge Equestria into darkness, continuing her parents' legacy. 

After several days, Celestia became seriously concerned about Luna. She would knock on the door and ask if Luna wanted to come out and take a walk with her sister, or have pancakes with her, but Luna would answer that she was busy, or tired, or solving a jigsaw puzzle or Sudoku. 

Celestia would go down to socialize with other ponies at Silver Shoals. But even behind her charming smile and laughter, her filly and gentlecolt friends noticed she was bothered by something. Eventually, Celestia told her friends that something was definitely wrong with Luna. Celestia was advised to talk to Luna and find out what was bothering her. 

"If you don't eradicate the problem, it will become worse," some advised. "Ask Luna what's going on. I'm sure she will tell you, and the problem will be resolved." 

Celestia took Mayor Mare's advice and came to Luna's door once again. After knocking, she said: "What's the matter, Luna? I know something is bothering you. Why can't you just tell me?" "I'm, uh... I'm.. You wouldn't understand," whimpered Luna. 

With a blue magical aura, Luna turned the doorknob and Celestia walked in. "Dear sister, please just tell me what's going on," said Celestia. "I'm in, well, a dilemma," responded Luna. "Its a very big one. I just don't know what to do. My decision could influence a lot." "If its that big of a decision, discuss it with me," answered Celestia. "I guess it is for the better," sighed Luna after a minute. "Have a seat."