Chapter 8 - Betrayal

Rachel did what she was asked of. The morning after her agreement, she entered the throne room to watch the changelings scurry around and prepare. Several of them were tied to the stolen monument of the three remaining enemies of Equestria and heaved it to the center of the room, grunting and straining under the pressure. 

Two of the most entrusted changelings, Hendrix and Cicada, held the Talisman of Mirage. Several more were hauling several large and small mirrors.

"Right this way," said Cricket as he led Rachel to the right wall. He led her to a specific spot on the stone floor marked by an X written in chalk. As soon as Rachel stood on it, another changeling hurried over and started drawing circles and strange patterns around her. 

Another changeling stood next to him, clutching a book that looked so old, Rachel was surprised it didn't turn to dust in the changeling's grip, and directed the first changeling's actions. He seemed friendly, and introduced himself to Rachel. "My name is Myron," he told her. Rachel smiled. It was nice to feel welcome.

Cricket sat on his throne, with a stern look on his face. "Hurry up!" He shouted to the changelings hauling the statue. Cricket wanted things to be going faster. When the room was finally set up, it looked like an intricate web of mirrors and chalk circles. 

In the center of the room, the Talisman of mirage lay in the center of a chalk circle. It was surrounded by several mirrors of different sizes, shapes, and materials. Some were woven with symbols and spells. On the opposite wall, the statue was positioned to face the Talisman.

When everything was ready, Rachel stood in the circle and opened the ancient spellbook Myron had used. It specialized in stone spells. It showed the changelings how to draw circles around magical sources to boost their powers for extremely challenging spells like en-stoning. 

It also housed a spellbook for an individual to read to access the spell. Rachel chanted it loudly, and her horns began to glow. A buzz vibrated through the air. Sweat beads appeared on Rachel's brow and cheeks. She groaned and breathed heavily, but focused on the spell.

A powerful magenta blast erupted from Rachel's horns. It shot straight at the Talisman of Mirage, passed through it, and shot in different directions after being reflected from the biggest, oldest, and most ornate mirror surrounding the Talisman. 

It bounced from mirror to mirror, passing through the Talisman, and growing bigger and more powerful each time. Finally, all the separate blasts came together and shot at the statue. The beam crashed right into it, and electricity vibrated through the marble monument. 

Chunks of stone started falling off, revealing a pink-and-blue young filly with deceiving freckles and curls, a grey, black, and pale red old centaur with big ambitions, and a tall, gnarly changeling with a vengeful scowl. 

As the villains were uncovered from the stone, they awoke. Cozy Glow, who was elevated at the moment of her en-stoning, fell onto the marble base of the statue and rubbed her hurt forehead. Tirek carefully opened his eyes and unclutched his fists, looking around, and Chrysalis fell on the floor.

Immediately, several changelings ran up to Chrysalis and helped her up. They scurried around her, dusting her off and bowing. Myron picked up Cozy, brushing off the marble dust covering her pink coat and placed her, bruised from the fall, on his back. No one came to help Tirek.

Cricket got up from his seat on the throne and, trying to stand as tall and proud in front of his queen as possible, approached her. With a small bow, he said: "Welcome back, my queen. We have finally freed you from your stone prison." 

"Wha- what..." responded Chrysalis, shaking her head, but quickly regaining her regalness. "How much time has passed?" "Oh, many years," responded Cricket. "Well, then we must get to work!" Chrysalis announced. "So much time lost! I must get to work! I can still regain my hive!"