Chapter 2 // Rêveries

Charlie swung his feet back and forth sitting on the table as he watched his mother mop the floor

Charlie swung his feet back and forth sitting on the table as he watched his mother mop the floor. "It would be amazing if I could be one of the five kids to get a golden ticket, wouldn't it mom?"

She gave a slight laugh. "Yes, yes it would be Charlie."

"Too bad I only get one bar a year. On my birthday." His shoulders dropped.

"Well it's your birthday next week." Y/n hummed. "You have as much of a chance as anybody does."

Charlie seemed to perk up.

"But you want to know what I think?"

Charlie nodded his head. His mother had a tendency to be slightly blunt. And while her comments were sometimes mean, he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy listening to them

"I think the first person who would get the first golden ticket would be... well." She made a motion with her hands, gesturing them outwards. "But I guess we'll see right?"

 "But I guess we'll see right?"

"Augustus. This way."

In Dusseldorf, Germany, cameras flashed left and right as reporters produced pictures of a big boy, who was standing with his mother.

"I am eating the Wonka bar and I taste something that is not chocolate, or coconut, or walnut, or peanut butter, or nougat, or butter brittle or caramel or sprinkles. So I look and I find the golden ticket." The boy who still had chocolate surrounding his mouth waved the partially eaten golden ticket around.

"Augustus," One of the reporters began. "How did you celebrate?"

"I eat more candy." He announced. He reached into one of his pockets and pulled out another Wonka bar, opening it and taking a huge bite out of it.

His mother spoke up. "We knew Augustus would find the golden ticket. He eats so many candy bars a day that it was not possible for him to not find one."

Augustus and his mother posed for more pictures.

"Golden ticket claimed and four more..."

Y/n sighed, closing her eyes for a second, wishing to get rid of the 5 minutes she had just wasted watching that. It seemed like that boy's parents enabled him with his eating habit.

Charlie frowned from beside his mother. "You were right."

Y/n exhaled and opened her eyes once more. "Things are going to get crazy since they've found one."

In Buckinghamshire, England, a second golden ticket had been found

A snobby looking girl smiled widely at the cameras as people called out to her.

"Veruca. Can you spell that for us please?"

"V-E-R-U-C-A. Veruca Salt."

Her mother and father stood behind their daughter with their hands on her shoulders and the father began speaking. "As soon as little Veruca told me she had to have one of these golden tickets," He gestured to his 'little Veruca,' "I stared buying all the Wonka bars I could lay my hands on."

Veruca kept weirdly smiling at the crowd, probably loving the attention.

The man continued. "Thousands of them. Hundreds of thousands. I'm in the nut business, you see. So I say to my workers: Morning ladies. From now on, you can stop shelling peanuts and start shelling the wrappers off these chocolate bars instead. Three days went by and we had no luck. Oh, it was terrible. My Veruca got more and more upset each day."

Veruca began showing off the ticket to the cameras, still smiling.

"Well, gentlemen, I just hated to see my little girl feeling unhappy like that. I vowed I would keep searching until I could give her what she wanted. And finally, I found her ticket."

Y/n rolled her eyes, tossing her head back. "She's even worse than the first kid."

Charlie looked at his mother. "What do you think about the family?"

"Oh, the father obviously doesn't know what the word 'no' is. And the mother...well she looks like a housewife who enjoys the milkman's visits."

"What?" Charlie looked confused.

"Um, nothing. Don't worry about it."

Charlie fiddled with his hands. "I don't think that was really fair. She didn't find the ticket herself."

Y/n patted Charlie's head. "Don't worry about it Charlie. That man obviously spoils his daughter. Believe me, nothing good will come from spoiling a kid like that." Y/n reached behind her back and pulled out a Wonka bar she had bought earlier in the day. "Anyways, I figured you might want to open your birthday present right now."

Charlie grinned and grasped the chocolate bar between his fingers. He faltered. "Maybe I should wait till morning."

Y/n gave a small amused huff. "Well I know that I once knew a boy who was always excited to open his presents. Why are you scared now?" It was a rhetorical question, but Y/n said it in a teasing manner in hopes of diverting her son's attention away from the earlier news.

Charlie slowly pulled the foil wrapped rectangle out of the paper wrapping, before unfolded the silver color off. Similar to a bandaid, Charlie quickly pulled the rest of the wrapper off, revealing the chocolate bar. But it had no golden ticket.

Y/n could feel her sons' disappointed energy radiating off him even though he tried to hide it. Y/n placed her arm around his shoulder and placed a kiss on his forehead. "It's okay."

Charlie looked up at her. "We'll share it."

Y/n shook her head. "No. Not your birthday present."

"Well it's my candy bar. I'll do what I want from it." He smiled, sassing her back.

The woman laughed wholeheartedly. She knew where Charlie got the sass from, and sometimes it would shine through. Charlie broke the chocolate bar in half and gave his mom the other half of it, before sinking his teeth into the chocolate sweet.