Sometimes

Linus

I'm at the lunch table alone, but it's only because I'm waiting for Bianca to get back from getting her food.

I've spent the past few days getting better acquainted with Bianca. I figure that I'm going to need to start finding a permanent group of friends, and if I should start anywhere, I should start with the first person at this school who paid me any mind. I think it's foolproof. The only problem is that means I have to spend less time with Brayden. I know he isn't going to want to leave his friends, so I guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to get by without him.

Finally, I see the tell-tale sign of Bianca's return, a wave of blond hair speeding through the cafeteria. It took a long time for me to realize just how fast Bianca walks, but it's almost scary that she can walk so quickly all the time. Her energy really is unrivaled, and I kinda love that about her. 

"Linus! I forgot to ask yesterday, how was your weekend?" She says it with her usual pep and I feel so tempted to say that it was incredible, but I decide against it and then I would have to go into all the details, and the details would ruin Bianca's day.

So I just say, "Fine." But my words don't match the smile that dances across my face as I think about Brayden's lips against my own and that feeling of walking on clouds washes over me again.

"Liar," she says, nudging me and giggling. "You're really bad at that, huh?"

"I guess so."

"So, why are you smiling? I've got to know now." Her hair flies all over the place with her ecstatic movements, and it smacks me in the face. The two of us glance at each other for a moment and start laughing. Our eyes meet for a moment, and she looks away, blushing. 

"Everything alright?" I ask her and she shakes her head. She checks her phone.

"Shit, I need to meet with Rain now, I'm so sorry Linus. I'll be back in a bit, okay?"

The blonde girl runs off yet again, and I'm left alone at the table. I turn my eyes toward Brayden, who is sitting there, talking to his friends. I want to feel him in my arms again, and yet, I'm terrified of  what he might say. I know it's probably unfounded fear and anxiety, but I still can't help but worry about it. What if he doesn't like guys after all? What if he doesn't like me?

I hate it, so I get up to walk away, go somewhere else with these thoughts, when suddenly, I see someone slide into the seat next to me.

"Uh, Linus, what happened to Bianca?" It's a familiar voice, sweet and understanding. Instinctively, I straighten my shirt out.

"Brayden, I, uh... didn't expect to see you here."

"You were all alone," he said, placing his hand on my knee and smiling. His thumb carefully caresses my leg as he looks into my eyes. No one has ever looked at me the way he's looking at me now and my face turns beet red. But I keep looking into his eyes. He takes my left hand in his own and holds it. "I don't like to see you by yourself."

"Brayden, I-" I begin but I stop when he places a finger against my lips. He begins to caress and examine my hand, and I try to pull it away. He carefully traces the scar on my hand with his finger and looks at me sweetly.

"Uh, what's that from?"

I pull my hand away. "It's really kinda stupid. You don't want to-"

"Sure I do. I just like to talk about you."

That boy. It was like I kept falling for him every time he said a word and I just can't seem to get him out of my brain. He's so sweet, charming, and kind. I really don't know what I did to deserve him coming into my life like he did, but here he is, and it's absolutely wonderful.