Dancing in the Rain

Rain

The crystal chandelier gleams in the center of the room, soaring above us. It looks so heavy, it's a wonder how it stays in the air, even when my attention is drawn to the thick cord that is obviously holding it up in the air. 

"How on earth did you get the money to bring me here?" I ask, my attention moving to Brayden's brown eyes. They sparkle in the light of the chandelier, and I can't help but smile at him. Every feature of his is, dare I say, extremely hot. I get lost in the loose brown curls of his hair, his muscles, and of course, his smile. I haven't seen it much, but when I do, it's easily his best feature.

"I just had it laying around," he says quietly. I know that he had some stuff happen in the past, so I understand it, but he always seems so distant and detached. It's almost like he doesn't want to be anywhere near me, but I just know that isn't the case because, well, he's here right now.

He picks the lemon slice out of his glass of water and begins to squeeze the lemon juice into the drink. When he's satisfied, he places the rind back into his drink and pokes it around with a straw.

"Is everything alright? You seem out of it," I ask, but he doesn't respond. He just keeps poking at the lemon. "Brayden?"

He jumps and his eyes immediately focus on me again. He scratches the back of his head, and says, "Sorry, just zoned out for a second."

"You know, you zone out a lot. Is there something on your mind?"

"Not really. Nothing huge anyway."

"Aw, come on. I'm your girlfriend. You can tell me."

"Well, if you insist..." he begins, nervously. "It's just that... well... I... It kinda feels weird to be going out with my ex's best friend, you know?"

"Don't worry, Bianca's fine with it. I've talked it over a ton with her. I promise."

"Okay..." he says, his eyes turning down to his water again. It's obvious that he isn't convinced, so I take his hand from across the table and look him dead in the eyes.

"I promise, Brayden."

Our conversation is interrupted by the waiter coming out with our food, and our attention immediately turns there. After handing me my chicken parmesan and Brayden his obnoxiously large steak, the man leaves, and I'm left ogling at Brayden's steak. He starts laughing at me.

"You're going to eat all of that?" I ask him, still staring intensely at the food on his plate.

"Why wouldn't I?" he says, picking up his knife and fork to cut the meat. "The steak here is incredible. You want a bite?"

I smile and laugh. "No, I think I've got enough food to last me a decade right here in front of me."

"Well, if you need someone to finish your leftovers, I'm your man," Brayden says, smiling, and I feel heat rush to my face. I try to cover it up, but it doesn't work.

"Of course you are," I say, jokingly rolling my eyes and giggling. Brayden has begun to eat his food, so I figure I should do the same, so I cut a piece of my chicken parmesan and stick it in my mouth. The flavor explodes across my tongue, and I look up to Brayden. "The food here is really good!"

"Why do you think I brought you here? To eat shitty food?"

"Well, even gross food would be fun with you."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," I say, giggling once again. That boy is so silly sometimes, but I really can't get enough of him. But there is a thought in my mind that maybe he isn't being silly. What if he just doesn't believe that I care about him, or, even worse, thinks it's just pity? After all, I am his ex's best friend, and she still doesn't particularly like him, but she is starting to tolerate him just a little more than she had. "Hey, are you sure everything is alright?"