Changing the Status Quo

Brayden

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!" I groggily open my eyes and Linus is standing in front of my mirror looking at his neck in his underwear. I slide back in the bed to sit up with my back against the headboard.

"What's wrong, babe?" I ask, and he turns around, revealing to me not one, not two, but three hickeys on his neck. My eyes widen and I feel the warmth rush to my face. "I'm so sorry about that, I-"

"Did you just call me 'babe'?" he interrupts, a grin crossing his face. He climbs back into the bed and rests his head on my shoulder. He places his hand on my chest and kisses me on the cheek. "You've never called me that in your life."

"Well, there's always a first," I say wrapping my arm around him. I feel like I could fall asleep again, but I know that if I do, my parents will end up coming in to make sure I didn't die in my sleep or some shit, and, let's just say that my room is kind of incriminating, what with our clothes all over the floor. I sigh and say, "We should probably clean this mess up."

I slide out of bed and throw my clothes that are on the floor into my laundry basket and open up my dresser. I pull a pair of clean underwear and some pajama pants out and pull them on as Linus gathers up his clothes. I pull another pair of pants out of the dresser and say, "Here, so you don't have to wear your dirty stuff home. Just get them back to me eventually."

I throw them at Linus, and surprisingly, he catches them and puts them on. They're a little short on him, but they're going to have to make do. "Sometimes I forget that you're shorter than me," he says, laughing and looking at his exposed ankles. "It's okay though, I like it." He plants a kiss on my forehead and pulls on his shirt.

"Do you want to stay for breakfast? I can make eggs or something," I say reaching for the doorknob, and he smiles and nods. I open the door for him and gesture for him to step out. I stare at him for a moment as he leaves the room, before remembering that I can't spend my entire life watching him and stepping up to his side, placing my hand around his waist.

We walk toward the kitchen, and I pull out a chair so he can take a seat at the table before I make my way to the fridge. "Scrambled?" I ask as I pull a carton of eggs out and place it on the counter. I grab a few and crack them and dump a little milk in with them. I stir them around the pan, talking about whatever comes to mind with Linus, and I realize something.

I could live like this.

This could be my morning every single morning of my life. A small smile begins to creep its way across my lips as I make my way over to the table with the bowl of eggs I had made him. I place a gentle kiss on his lips before taking the seat right next to him, placing my leg right against his. The smell of the eggs fills my nostrils, see Linus, and almost forget that we aren't married.

I probably sound like I'm out of some corny teen TV show, but I don't give a shit. This moment is too perfect to forget. Without thinking, I take my hand and brush Linus' hair out of his face. "Have you ever had those days when it seems like everything is perfect, and you just want to freeze time and live it over and over again, and you would never get bored, even if you lived it a million times?" I ask. "It actually sounds really stupid now that I've said it if I'm being honest."

"Only every day I spend with you," he responds, and I feel the warmth rise to my face, and quickly shovel some eggs into my mouth. Linus laughs at me and I hardly swallow my food before I burst into laughter, too.

"Linus, why aren't we boyfriends already?" I ask, and as soon as the words come out, I think of what is possible in the future, between us, and a huge smile crosses my lips. I just can't help it, I always feel so safe around him. He's one of the most important, no, scratch that, the most important person in my life, and I honestly wouldn't mind spending a little bit more time with him.