Fresh Florida Oranges

Brayden

I'm practically sprinting, hardly taking in the sights of our quiet town. I feel the drawstring bag on my back bouncing up and down, and it's driving me crazy, but I ignore it because I have some more pressing matters to worry about. I can guarantee there are probably a couple of people staring, but at this point, I don't care. It's only ten in the morning, but it's been too long since I've seen Linus, especially now that I'm single.

I know that Rain's hurting, but never in my life have I been so excited to see someone as I am right now. I can't wait to see him again. I dart around a woman walking her dog and apologize profusely, stumbling over an uneven bit of the sidewalk and continuing on my way. Finally, I come to the flower shop I had placed my order at and come to a screeching halt.

I practically throw the door open and am immediately hit with the strong scent of hundreds of flowers. I anxiously make my way to the desk and speak with the woman there, who looks like she would rather be anywhere else. "Um, I'm here to pick up an order for Brayden Lewis," I say, digging into my back pocket for my wallet.

"It's in the back, I'll go get it," she says, turning away from me. I bounce up and down impatiently, pulling a fifty out of the wallet. She comes back a few moments later with a huge bouquet of red and white roses. I stare at it in disbelief. It's absolutely beautiful, and I take in the scent. 

"Thank you so much," I say, throwing the bill down on the counter and leaving the store. I hear the woman yell something about my change, but I ignore her and continue on my way. I feel sweat beginning to gather on my brow, but I don't stop. I can't stop. I have my chance to fix everything with Linus, and I'm sure as hell going to take it. 

I finally reach his street and make my way through his lawn and onto his front porch. I knock on the door, and his mother answers. She looks at me like she is very confused for a moment before she shakes her head and calls for Linus. She closes the door in my face and I begin to rock back and forth on my feet until it opens again. Our eyes meet, and I can see the shock in his eyes.

"What's this?" He asks, eyeing the flowers. I know he doesn't know that I'm no longer with Rain, but I hold out the bouquet to him.

"It's for you," I say. He takes it and invites me inside. He brings me into his bedroom and tells me to sit down on his bed. I slip my bag off of my back as he sits down next to me and looks me in the eyes.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Linus, I never stopped liking you. Even when I was with Rain, but now-"

"Was?" He asks, his eyes filling with a spark of what I can only assume is hope.

"She dumped me. She said I was distant and distracted. And she's moving soon. So, I got you this," I say, resting my hand on his thigh. He smiles and places his hand on my cheek. He's looking deeply into my eyes, and I feel a smile cross my face.

"Bray, I- You shouldn't have," he says, his smile getting even wider. I don't think about what happens next. I just press my lips against his. He lets out a noise of shock before calming down and kissing my back. I slide my hands up and down his back, and he wraps his arms around my neck. We fall down onto the bed, my body on top of his and we just keep kissing. It feels like we're reliving old memories, and I feel like I'm filled to the brim with joy. 

When we finally break the kiss, he brushes my hair out of my face and smiles. "I missed you," he says, and I roll off of him and lay next to him on the bed.

"I missed you, too," I say. I wrap my arms around him and begin planting gentle kisses on the side of his neck. "If you wanted, we could go up to the orange grove just outside of town. You haven't lived in Florida if you haven't gone orange picking in the winter, just sayin'," I say, and he chuckles.