Episode 17: Things You See in a Graveyard

WARNING: This chapter contains mild descriptions of gore (via autopsy), implied cannibalism, and some dismemberment. Please read with caution.

===

As the sun disappears in the west, coating the dark sky with stars, the Acme Grand Hotel lights up, a beacon in the concrete jungle. Wile enters the hotel and inspects the lobby. A large chandelier hangs over the space, adding a golden hue to the white tiles and pillars, and luxurious lounge seats are placed meticulously on his left and right.

"Right on time, Mr. Coyote," a voice rings in Wile's left ear, drawing his attention. On a two-seater sits Wyatt, poised with an imposing aura. Next to Wyatt is Wile's duffel bag. "Your invention is quite interesting." He stands up, slinging the bag's strap over his shoulder. "I'll explain more in the meeting room. Follow me."

Down the western hall, past the recreation room, is a pair of doors labeled "Meeting Room". Wyatt slides his hotel key into the card reader, allowing them access inside. The next half-hour, they discuss the nature and design of the prototype, with Wyatt offering his feedback on the size of the bear trap projectile, the structure of the grip and trigger, and the overall weight.

"I'd say you're off to a pretty good start," Wolfgang concludes. "Most importantly, try making the weapon lighter so it's easier to handle, and adjust the width of the forestock so the hand can wrap around it." He bags the prototype and slides it across the table for Wile to retrieve. "You fix those up and I'd say you're a shoo-in for Lycopolis' weapons design department."

"Thanks, Mr. Wolfgang," Wile says, reaching for the bag. "I'll get started ASAP." He raises slightly from the seat, ready to leave, when Wyatt stops him.

"Before you go, there's something else I need to discuss." At once, the affable CEO's façade disappears, leaving behind a glowering mien that chills the atmosphere. "I've heard word from Mutterland that there's another African wolf living in this city. Is that correct?"

Composing himself despite his pounding heart and tensing shoulders, Wile answers, "Yes. Duane started acting weird when I brought him up." Shooting an equally sharp look, he asks, "What do you know about Mr. Blakesley?"

"I can't say I know this 'Mr. Blakesley' personally, but I do know someone who matches his description, and if he is the same guy, I smell trouble around the corner."

So if they are the same wolf, could this mean Wyatt...? Wile holds back the assumption. He will have to prod carefully before making any conclusions. "Herman saved my life when I needed it most, and he's guided me through some difficult moments. I don't see any reason to be wary of him."

Wyatt's ear twitches when he hears that name. "The guy I know, he always plays nice with children and likes to help folks on a whim. But once you stop entertaining him, he'll devour you and spit you out like it's nothing." Gruffly, he adds, "If you want my advice, I'd suggest you stay far away from that wolf. He's dangerous in ways you can't even imagine."

Wile stands firmly, picking up the bag. "I'll take your advice into consideration, but should I cross paths with him again... I'll tell him an old friend said hi." Without another word, he turns and exits the room.

***

For the next week, Wile busies himself, fixing his prototype by day and sniping blood samples by night. On the seventh day, he reads over the list Pepé gave him. Canines, felines, avians, reptiles, he's gathered samples from many different Sapient groups and even a few non-Sapients. The only animal listed that he is having trouble finding is Homo sapiens–humans.

At the Pussycat abode, Wile shows the list to Sylvester and explains the situation. "This is a tall order he's asking," Sylvester responds while reading. "I can't think of any humans currently living in Acme City. With the Canastas dead and Granny no longer in town, the population's practically nil. I can ask around, but it might take some time. Pepé will have to make do with what he has until then."