Episode 30: Crossing Fates and Crashing Waves

Early December, when the weather grows colder with signs of snowfall to come, Acme City's residents have one thing at the forefront of their minds: the holidays. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, and so on, the diversity of the concrete jungle's animal kingdom is united in the joy brought by their winter jubilations. Even ACME Corp, in their cynical pursuit of profits, is joining in on the fun.

With the holidays comes the commercial chaos of present shopping, however, and with that comes crime. Wolf & Coyote, in the middle of their own preparations, would be suddenly summoned to deliver–or steal–packages, pursue shoplifters, and dress up as Mall Santa's elves for children. Despite the increased workload, the payment is greater than before, allowing them to live comfortably well into the new year.

The comfort does not last, for they still have an important case to solve. Henriette La Moufette's current whereabouts are unknown and the police have yet to find her. In a rash act initiated by a high-ranking official from the K-9 force, the Underground black market was recently infiltrated, wreaking havoc on vendors and clients alike. Anyone who wasn't arrested or killed in the process had since scattered above ground into the city, either stalling their activities or finding new ways to continue them in hiding. Just when it seems like progress is made, Lady Fate throws all of it down the gutter, forcing everyone back to square one.

As Ralph is dressing himself in the festive red and green colors of a North Pole elf, Wile is helping Pepé and Charles with setting up the artificial Christmas tree. Though the coyote has no prior experience with the holiday, he has learned of it secondhand through stories and advertisements. It's a strange way to celebrate the winter solstice, he concludes, but it looks fun all the same.

"Is there anything you want for Christmas, Charlie?" Pepé asks as he hangs a red bauble on a plastic pine branch.

"I used to wish I could see Papa again," says Charles. "But now that I have, I don't know what more I could ask for." The two exchange warm smiles, and he adds, "Actually, I would also like an Acme Shift console, like the one at Sylvester's house."

"Wait, isn't that the hot item that's selling out everywhere? I don't know if I can get one."

Wile cuts in, "We can break into a warehouse and grab one for you."

"Wiley, don't you dare!"

Ralph says bluntly, "You realize who you're dealing with, right? Plus, I was thinking of getting one myself."

Wile's ears perk up and his tail starts wagging. "Really?"

"Yeah. I was gonna give it to Sam's kids, but I doubt he would take kindly to receiving stolen property. So I can grab it for the kid and y'all can share."

Resigned, Pepé sighs. "Just be careful. Half the city has a target on your back, including ACME Corp. And if you come back empty-handed..." He hesitates, trying to concoct a convincing threat. "I'm kicking you both out of this apartment!"

***

Wolf & Coyote arrive in South Quarter's docks at nightfall, watching the cargo ships from up high. Wile feels a sense of déjà vu, recalling faint memories of the night Don Henery was assassinated. In contrast, tonight's activity is peaceful, with no gangs or hitmen to interrupt the methodical flow of imports and exports.

Ralph raises his binoculars to one ship, named Hor-Aha, then motions Wile to come closer. "Those shipments with the consoles have Wedjat's logo on it. Could they be smuggling Illudium in with them?"

"Without a second party to split the goods with, ACME can have all the Illudium they want."

"Illudium or no, we gotta crack one of 'em open." His gaze follows the trail of a group of dock workers carrying wooden crates from the Hor-Aha into a warehouse. Aside from the main entrance, the building has several windows and the loading dock which can act as alternative routes. "Lemme handle this. I'll be in and out before you can say 'lamb chops'." Ralph drops down from the rooftop and makes way for the back entrance.