Episode 27: The Darkness That Lurks

Throughout the car ride, Junior and Charles are silent, not so much as glancing at each other. Finding the atmosphere increasingly awkward, George taps the passenger window. "Ralph, park here."

Uncertain what the hound's plan is, he parks by the sidewalk. The children, equally curious, gather to look outside. Right by their spot is a small brick-and-mortar shop named Hugo's Ice Cream. As soon as Ralph gets out of the car, he instantly understands the intention.

The shop is a humble, café-like establishment with white furnishings and a snowy mountain mural painted across its walls. A sign behind the register features an illustration of a goofy-looking yeti mascot, holding a double scoop of ice cream shaped like a bunny snowman. "Bugs Bunny's #1 favorite ice cream shop!" it proudly boasts. This in particular takes Ralph by surprise–he never expected the rabbit running the heart of the city to go to places like this.

While they decide what to buy, his phone buzzes in his pocket. Sylvester's name is shown prominently on the screen. He steps outside to accept the call. "Hey, Sylvie, you hanging in there?"

"Yeah," he answers, sounding fatigued. "Deputy Sheepdog's been going hard on Anne. I'm kind of worried. So how's Junior and Charlie?"

"The kits are fine. We went over to Cheese E. Sneezer's, but there was an incident, so we left to grab ice cream instead."

"Now that you mention it, I overheard something about an emergency at Cheese E. You made the right call, Ralph."

Guilt wells up in his gut. The police are going to look through the security cameras, and they're going to find out what happened... Wait, what happened back there? Charles mentioned something about having "lost control", and the hallucinogenic gas smelled identical to skunk spray. The more he thinks about it, the more it makes sense, crazy as it sounds. "Yeah, guess I did. Anyway, call me when you're out. Junior's worried about you."

"Will do." They exchange good-byes and end the call.

***

I don't trust him. I don't trust him one bit.

In the viewing room, Officer Shepherd watches the interrogation from the two-way mirror, with Herman as his sole company. He would rather have Detective Bloodhound or anyone else over this deranged wolf. Why is he still here, anyway? Shouldn't he be slicing up bodies in the morgue? The deputy must have a real soft spot for wolves, with how often he insists on giving them special treatment.

Compared to how he usually dresses on the job, Herman is dressed more like a teenage mall goth, sporting a black sweater with striped sleeves, ripped skinny jeans with chains, and a leather collar with a chunky silver ankh hanging from it. His glasses manage to make him look slightly more mature.

With a sneer, Shepherd asks, "Where'd you get your clothes from, Dark Matter?"

Ignoring the mocking tone behind the officer's question, Herman grins and answers, "Just the collar. The rest I thrifted and embellished myself. I could afford to expand my wardrobe, though. Especially after my best suit got torn up. Hey, we can go clothes shopping if you're up for it."

"I'm not much of a shopaholic, but thanks for the offer." His gaze lowers to the silver ankh. He was there when Deputy Sheepdog interrogated Blakesley. He always found the mortician off-putting, but watching him ramble about Negative Confessions and penance and brokenness while chained up put him on edge. Any second now, at the slightest provocation, this wolf is going to snap and kill him... At least, that's how he imagines it occurring.

"You're scared of me, aren't you?"

Shepherd snaps out of his trance and looks up at Herman. Before he can respond, the wolf continues. "I can tell from the way you look at me, the way your hands and shoulders tense up in my presence, the way you speak to me when we're in a conversation. Can't say I blame you–I get that reaction quite often. But you don't have to worry. As long as I'm under the Deputy's watch, I'm as harmless as a newborn kitten."