𝟎𝟎𝟒 Hedwig

Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street

chapter four , Hedwig

a/n : *content warning* mentions of eating disorder and self harm

━━━━━━━━━━

"Wow, Gus..."

The brunette turns to Jonathan, who was sitting at the table with his mom. Jonathan was barely able to get the food down. But he forces a smile.

"...this is like nothing I have ever tasted before."

Gus scrunched her face, "I'm gonna take that as a 'never cook again, Gus'."

"What? No! I didn't--I didn't mean it like..." Jonathan exhales a breath. "...maybe you should pick up some lessons."

Gus' mouth hangs open, "Oh wow!" she then laughs. "Is that how it is?"

Jonathan laughs quietly.

"Thank you for letting me stay here last night," Gus says. "It was later when I got here and I know Hop is gonna kill me..."

"You're welcome to stay here, Gus." Jonathan shrugs. "You don't have to thank us."

Gus gives Jonathan a small smile. Jonathan looks at his mom; who was staring off into space. Gus and Jonathan look at each other, sharing a look of worry.

"Hey, mom did you want to eat? Gus...she tried to make some food."

Gus' mouth hangs open and Jonathan smiles.

Jonathan grabs a plate of food and sets it in front of Joyce.

"Be careful of the poster," Joyce says, pushing the flyer to the side.

"Yeah, of course." Jonathan sets the food in front of her.

Joyce lets out a breath, "I-I can't eat..." she huffs.

"I need you to eat, mom," Jonathan says, he then looks over at the brunette. "Hey, did you eat something?"

Gus looks at Jonathan and slightly opens her mouth, "Yeah, I had some of this...very bad eggs earlier." she lies.

Jonathan chuckles softly, "They weren't...that bad, all right?"

Gus rolls her lips into her mouth, "Yeah, suuure."

"Jonathan..."

He looks over at his mom.

"The Xerox place opens in, like, 30 minutes," Joyce says, looking at her watch. "I don't want you to go alone, though."

Gus raises her brows, "Uh, I can...go with him."

Joyce and Jonathan look at the girl.

"No, Gus. I can't ask you to do that." Joyce wipes her nose. "You should be going to school."