The Beginning of the End

Chapter 20: The Beginning of the End

A/N: Yes! I am still alive! Life may have tried to pull me down, but I am back!

You all probably hate me and have lost interest in this story by now. But for those of you that have been hanging out for an update, I now give you the long-awaited chapter!

Enjoy!

____________________________________________________________

As she's slowly pulled from the land of dreams, Regina registers the weight of a strong arm wrapped tightly around her middle, holding her securely against the chest where her head currently lays. A contented smile pulls at her lips upon slowly opening her eyes and lifting her gaze to upon Robin's slumbering form. He looks so peaceful, she silently muses, using the tips of her fingers to softly trace every edge and curve of his handsome features.

If she's being honest, Regina still can't quite believe that he's still here. She had convinced herself that he would run for the hills the moment the truth spilled from her lips. Instead, Robin had showered her with his affections and words of love. And now, here he is, holding her close as he continues to sleep on. Regina doesn't know what she's done to deserve such a wonderful man, but for once, it seems that fate is finally on her side for once.

And she'll be damned if she doesn't take this chance at love and run with it.

Overcome with the love she feels for this man, the brunette leans upwards to place a tender peck to Robin's stubbled cheek. The thief gives a contended hum in response, tightening his hold on her waist and pulling her closer towards him. Regina lets him, wrapping one of her arms securely around his torso and nuzzling against his chest with a quiet chuckle.

"How long have you been awake?" she hears his sleep laden voice ask before he's pressing a lingering kiss to the top of her head.

"Not long." Regina replies with a smile, shifting her head to gaze upon her thief once again.

Robin returns her smile, lifting a hand as he does to tenderly cup her cheek, "So, I take it you slept well?"

Leaning into his touch, the brunette gives a throaty hum and raises her head to brush her nose against his. "You're going to have to be careful," Regina says upon placing a quick peck to the tip of his nose, "I could very easily get used to falling asleep within your arms."

"You'll hear no complaints from me." the thief responds, giving her waist a tender squeeze as he lifts the hand that's cupping her cheek to tuck a few fallen strands behind her ear.

"Good." she murmurs before closing the remaining distance between them to capture his lips against hers in a soft kiss, relishing in this quiet moment of pure bliss with her thief.

____________________________________________________________

For a while they exchanged lazy and languid kisses within the comfort of each other's arms. It was only when Robin's stomach violently rumbled that the couple decided it was time to break their fast and reluctantly parted. Once the couple manage to make themselves somewhat presentable, Regina grabs his hand with a blinding smile and proceeds to lead him through the maze of corridors that make up her castle.

Just as they round another corner, Regina calls out to a raven-haired teenage girl further down the corridor, "Leonora, would you please alert the kitchen staff that I shall have my morning in the solarium?"

"Of course, my queen." Leonora replies, her purple eyes widening as she bobs into a hasty curtsey before hesitantly asking, "Shall I request three settings, your majesty?"