Two

Raven was shaken awake by a dark figure. Her eyes flew open as she yelped.

"It's just me," Daryl shushed. "Cmon, we need to talk,"

"What time is it?" Raven grumbled, still trying to catch her breath.

"Do I look like I have a damn watch?"

"No?"

"Get up," She did as told and left with Daryl, using her makeshift pillow as a jacket. It was a little baggy, but it was warm. They ventured down the guard tower and on the edge of the fence away from everyone. "Who are you?" Daryl asked once he was sure he was far away enough from the sleeping group.

"I don't know how you want me to answer, I'm just a kid,"

"Bullshit, you're hiding something, I'm not dumb,"

"Believe me, I don't think you're dumb,"

"Where did you come from, and why were you going in the direction of the prison?" He asked.

"You know, you ask a lot of questions. Are you a cop or something?"

"No, but Rick is, and he likes you. I don't,"

"Are you sure about that? Because you're the only person out of everyone I've actually held a conversation with,"

"Just answer my fuckin' questions, that's all you have to do," The conversation quickly turned serious.

"Sorry, it's just, I don't know if I can trust you. How do I know you guys aren't just gonna kill me or something?" She looked down.

"We aren't the type of people to take in children just to hurt them. You're lucky we found you. Who knows what would've happened if we didn't," Raven suddenly felt a pang of fear in her stomach, he was right.

"I'm not from around here. I live in Boston, but a few weeks before the world literally fucking ended, I was sent to spend time with my aunt in Georgia. My aunt was a hoarder, and we had enough supplies for like, two years. But that two year limit ended a week ago,"

"And?" Daryl urged her to go on.

"And... My aunt went out to find what she could for us, but days passed without her coming back. I open the curtain and see her as one of them... a... uh,"

"Walker,"

"Yeah, she was a walker. So I went out to find supplies, and I was just running in the direction that walkers weren't in. And it obviously didn't go very well,"

"So where did you actually learn how to shoot so well?"

"I didn't have a choice, I had to teach myself. I guess my days of playing first person shooter video games paid off," Raven chuckled. She gripped the edges of Glenn's jacket as the cold wind whistled through her bleached blonde hair that went down to the middle of her neck. "What's your story? And everyone else?"

"How do I know you're not some spy, ready to stab me in the back?"

"God, can we drop that not trusting act now. I've got nothing to hide, I told you. If anyone should be scared, it's me," Raven rolled her eyes. Daryl briefly told the story of how they ended up in the field of a prison, sleeping next to corpses. He left some holes here and there that she would fill if everything worked out and Raven became truly a part of them.

"We're gonna be skeptical of each other for a while, that's just how it is," Raven nodded, looking down. She knew she was going to get attached to these people in a matter of time, and then she realized how hard it was going to be to hide so much, and put on the innocent little girl facade after everything. Maybe the time would come when she didn't have to hide her past, but the future looked uncertain. Everyone could be dead tomorrow after all. She took the end of the world to create herself, who she wanted to be. She could detach from her past, but it was an ongoing battle every day to forget her foundations.