❁ Declan Carter ❁

...from "American Horror Story: The Island", hosted by _Annabel-Lee_

Role:  Reliable Town Drunk

Quote: "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. It's to create something that will."--- Chuck Palanhiuk

Full Name: Declan James Carter

Age: 26

Gender: Male

Pronouns: He/Him

Sexuality: Heterosexual. Polyamorous. 

Faceclaim: Evan Peters

Anthem: "Creep" by Radiohead

Personality: Declan is a highly intelligent and compassionate person. Artistic, introverted,introspective. He often talks about things in a way others don't understand. It's easy to chalk it up to him being drunk or on something that alters his perception of reality. Then again, his perception of reality might be the only one that's right on the money. He's the kind of guy who'd do anything for the people he cares about. Sadly, he doesn't value himself as much as he should. He seems fearless as a consequence, but it's easy not to fear the future when you don't love the present. 

Backstory: 

Declan is American, born to British parents who had a lot of money but little time for him and his siblings. He was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. His mannerisms, when he is himself, are a mixture of Southern charm and British refinement. He was never overly athletic, nor the best looking guy in the room. He relied on charm, manners, and intelligence to get him through life and make connections.

Declan graduated from Vanderbilt University, majoring in philosophy. He was always a well-liked and amiable sort of person, but the guy who'd show up with booze on his breath at 9 AM. It's hard to tell a college kid has an alcohol problem, because to some extent, many do. Declan is that guy who took experimenting a little too far, moving from alcohol into psychedelic drugs to expand his consciousness. 

Shortly before graduation, Declan's long-time girlfriend overdosed. Her death is something he never really processed. He still loves her beyond reason and doesn't believe committed relationships are for him. He's a loving person but doesn't agree with monogamy and doesn't make commitments. Definitely not relationship material.

With no plans for the future and a moral objection to working for "the man", he packed up his backpack and hit the road. Declan lied to friends and family, claiming to have joined the Peace Corps. They believe he's somewhere in Africa, trying to improve the existence of the third-world.

He showed up on the island as a trust-fund kid with no money, no connections, and no sense of stability. Declan works at a series of odd-jobs, and is his reliable and amiable self, as long as he is able to drink enough to keep his mood stable. He would have a lot going for him, if he weren't an alcoholic that never got the help he needed. 

Declan is your story's classic "unreliable narrator", except in a world full of unreliable narrators, he may be the most sane and reliable person on the island.