Chapter 3

"I don't understand," he grumbled, plopping down in the chair across from me

"I don't understand," he grumbled, plopping down in the chair across from me. "Wasn't that your assignment from Wednesday?"

I tore another piece off of the corner, squinting at the slew of paper bits I'd strewn about in front of me on the picnic table. "Yes, but tomorrow's assignment is to destroy the last assignment to make the new assignment."

"What class is this for?"

"Elements of Visual Thinking."

He scoffed. "Are you sure you go to a real school? It sounds like a scam to me."

"Yes, pretty sure, and in 3 years when I have my diploma you'll know it too."

"Of course," he rolled his eyes and continued with his voice dripping in sarcasm, "because then you'll have a diploma from art school and you'll have really showed me. An incredibly useful piece of paper for ruling a kingdom in a different dimension."

"Shhhhh!" I waved my hand in front of his face, looking around where people were still staring at us. Though, I was pretty sure it had more to do with the way his lips looked rather than the words that came out of them. "Are you crazy?! All of these people are around!"

He rolled his eyes at my whisper-yelling, smirked, and lowered his sunglasses a little.

"There are other people around? I hadn't noticed."

Finally, I pulled my eyes away from my project to look at him. The sun shone on his dark hair, bringing out those strands of ethereal navy that I could never quite match. No matter how many times I tried. His eyes were covered by a sleek pair of sunglasses.

My face flushed at his thinly veiled flirtation. "I'm not going to rule the kingdom anyways. Brighid is."

"Goddesses save us. It's a damned shame if you ask me," he said, stretching back on the chair. 

"Nobody did."

He chuckled a little, shaking his head.

People stared at him as they walked by. Each time they stared at him I swore they looked at me for a moment, wondering why the hell I was the one sitting across from this god-like creature. I wanted to shrink into the table at the amount of attention he garnered to our table. It took him less than a minute to realize my demeanor shift and note the embarrassment in my posture.

He frowned and looked at me over the top of his glasses. Silver. A silver that couldn't possibly be of this earth met my eyes.