Chapter 16

The gown was beautiful

The gown was beautiful. But, I had no other expectation for it.

When Fawn pulled it out of the wardrobe, I actually gasped. Running my hand down the red silk bodice, I looked at her.

"Where did you find this?" I asked, transfixed at the way the gold design trailed down the dress in an intricate floral design. But mostly at  the way the gold against the red looked like flames. Like the flames at my fingertips.

The sleeves hung low off my shoulders and the curls that Fawn loosed from my hair tickled the small of my back. The skirts were light and billowy enough that I was able to strap a dagger to my thigh. Just in case.

"There was a store in town and... well, I'm happy you like it!"

I grinned at her buzzing energy. "I hope you picked something out for yourself too."

She waved her hand in front of her face, brushing off my suggestion. I cocked a brow. Then, we proceeded for the next hour to pick a gown for Fawn out of my wardrobe. She refused so often that I had to pull the Queen card.

The hour was spent mostly with Fawn performing a fashion show in the dresses, but it was in the interest of making a decision. Or, at least, that's what we told ourselves. Really, it helped me find the joy necessary for the celebration.

Regin would arrive soon, but until then, there wasn't much I could do but worry. Unfortunately, the worrying hadn't seemed very productive thus far.

However, due to the impromptu fashion show in my chambers, we were already late for the celebration. When I realized, I started rushing out the door but Fawn cleared her throat.

"You're the Queen," she reminded me, "the celebration starts whenever you deign to arrive to it."

I chuckled. "I like the way that sounds."

The two of us made our way down the long stretches of corridor, Maddox trailing behind us. Even the commander had dressed for the occasion, donning a slightly nicer black tunic rather than his usual day-to-day black tunic.

"Maddox, did you comb your hair?" I taunted.

His hand instinctively went to his head. "I always comb my hair," confusion ringing through his voice.

I rolled my eyes at his inability to sense my teasing. We descended the grand staircase leading into the ballroom. Instead of focusing on the stares pinned in my direction, I gazed at the decorations littering the walls and the bannister.

Greenery filled the room with scents of pine and juniper. Sparkling snow seemed to fall from the ceiling but never reached the ground nor the guests in what I assumed was an intricate spell. Golden flickers of candles hung from the center of the room by a chandelier. Fey courtiers had already taken to the floor in a whirl of colorful skirts, dancing to the intoxicating lilt of the music.