Chapter 40

Two weeks later

Two weeks later

Every day that I stayed in Brooklyn was another day that I realized how much I missed electricity while I was in Elphame. And Starbucks. And wifi.

Still, every day that I stayed in Brooklyn, I missed the smell of the flowers in the Summer court. My friends. The music. The magic.

"You'll be coming back this weekend, right?" Brighid asked. I still wasn't used to the image of her lingering at my apartment counter, but I was starting to think that I might not mind getting used to it. "The Bealtaine celebrations are soon and you need to make decisions on which traditions to maintain and which to reject."

I grunted. "I thought that's why I appointed you as regent. To make decisions like that."

"Perhaps," Brighid amended but made a face. "Bealtaine is my least favorite holiday though, so I don't want to make the decisions. If it goes horribly, I'd rather you be blamed."

Ah. My sister. So happy she was back.

It took me a moment to decide whether or not she was joking, and in the end, I had no idea whether she was or wasn't. But that was the nature of interacting with Brighid, and truth be told, I was just glad to have someone to share the burdens of ruling with.

Brighid and I reviewed the latest treaty agreements drawn up between the Summer court and the Spring court. Turns out, the Spring King was none too happy to find out about his wife's betrayal, and as a result, agreed to the strict terms of the treaty we proposed without so much as a negotiation. What happened to the Spring Queen, was not a part of the treaty, but I didn't doubt that we would hear from her again.

Perhaps the Spring court should look into a democracy. Perhaps all of Elphame should.

Once we reviewed all of the documents, Brighid left to return to the Summer court and I returned back to my figures drawing assignment. The arms were looking sausage-like again and I snapped a quick picture of the drawing and texted it to Ellie with no other words besides— Sausage King Part 2: Return of the Sausage?

I was drawing by the desk at the window because when I got bored or needed inspiration I could look out onto the street for the motivation I needed. Except tonight, when I looked out at the steet Arawn was there.

He was standing underneath the street lamp, his dark cloak floating behind him with a slight sheen of yellow light on him. Other people walked by him as if he were a regular tourist, barely paying him any mind.

He sensed me watching and beckoned me with one singular finger. Finally. He said he would see me soon after he saved Cedric and it had been two weeks since then. I had questions.

But what else was new?

I threw a coat on over my shoulders and shoved my feet into shoes before rushing down to the street. The Lord of Hell nodded by way of greeting as I approached him.