Chapter 4

A few weeks later, decorating the nursery had begun in full force. Vic had a binder full of ideas - she got so bored whilst on maternity leave that she often found herself walking around Home Depot and places like that to find paint samples, wallpaper swatches, and other essential decorative things. She even had a folder of photos in her phone which were mostly things that she thought would look good in the room, but because she actually had some self-control, she'd buy them if and when Travis and Emmett approved of them.

In the end, the three decided that a cute yellow would be the perfect colour for the room. It wasn't too bright, just the perfect shade. And because Travis condemned Vic from actually painting because she was 17 weeks pregnant and claimed it was 'dangerous', they made Emmett and Theo paint the room. Emmett was the artist in the family, and Theo was the adult of them all.

"So, are we absolutely sure we want this colour? There's no turning back after I put the first lick of paint on the walls..." Emmett looked around the room.

Before anyone could reply, Theo took his brush, dipped it into the paint and smoothed it onto the wall. "This is because you're all indecisive."

"Well, okay then!" Emmett laughed and did the same.

They all spent about 20 minutes painting, of course, Vic and Travis were just moral support - they were just sitting eating Vic's newfound craving, Mango. She used to hate the fruit, but one day when she was walking around the grocery store, something about it just spoke to her. She took one home, cut it up, and felt like she was eating gold.

She made it known to the whole station (and Emmett) that her new craving was Mango, and she made everyone stock their fridge with it so that if she ever went to the station, or to any of their houses she could happily eat.

Though, when she was at Travis and Emmett's house, which was more often than not these days, she and Travis would have to fight about who ate the mango because Travis also loved it. In the end, though, Vic usually won the arguments. Travis was a little (or a lot) scared of pregnant Vic.

"Okay, I need to get changed before we go out for food." Emmett said, looking down at his paint-covered clothes.

"Same. I have some in my bag." Theo laughed, also sporting a lovely light cover of pale yellow on his shirt.

"Okay, hurry up. These babies are hungry!" Vic yelled as they left the room, then turned to Travis to talk to him frankly. "How's work going?"

Travis smiled. "Good. I miss you a lot, of course. Andy has been really good and has been keeping Theo and me apart on most of our assignments, though I honestly think I could work with him. Like I said a few weeks ago, I'm a lieutenant, he's a lieutenant, it's not too bad."

"Yeah?" She almost teared up, proud of the growth that Travis had been through.

"Yeah." He continued to smile, also turning his head to see some tears escaping Vic. "Are you crying?!"

"I am pregnant, you idiot. I'm allowed to cry when I want." She wiped her eyes. "But I'm proud of you, always."

"Stop, you're gonna make me cry next." He laughed, receiving a really hard thump on the shoulder. "Okay! I will suck all my emotions in. I see how it is..."

Literally the day after, the shift Travis and Theo was working was extremely slow. So slow in fact, they had found themselves working on the engine together in the barn, mostly talking about Vic and Emmett, but also the whole situation in general.

"Is this how you imagined your life going? Your best friend helping you have a baby with someone who isn't Michael?" Theo asked.

"Definitely not." Travis sighed loudly. "But honestly? I wouldn't change it for the world. Sometimes, things happen for a reason. And for everything bad that happened back then, one good thing came out of it. Her."