12: The Confession

"You liked me, didn't you?"

WAS I THAT OBVIOUS?!!

"W-What?" I stuttered in shock. He took a sip of water from his glass and smirked.

"You liked me. Since when?" he asked smirking. My face got heat up as I looked into his eyes with complete calmness though I was screaming inside, "What gave you the idea that I liked you?" 

"Just you kept staring at me 24/7, you sat at 90 degress just so you could see me during the class even though teachers asked you to sit straight all the time, and... when you bumped into Ashish from our class and I taunted him, 'Ashish bro, look where you going, you might crush someone' and you looked at me then I smirked, you panicked and made a quick escape. God, you were so nervous around me," 

I didn't notice he came very close to me from across the table now staring into my eyes, making me more nervous.

After few moments he backed up and sat straight as I exhaled deeply. 

"You still like me, your cheeks are burning up," he said shamelessly. 

I glanced at him in anger, "I don't" I said drinking my water, he snickered.

"What more do you remember?" I asked him smiling slightly. "Everything," he said smirking.

"Why?" I asked, "Why are you doing this?" 

"Because you're funny." he said and I sighed, "So you were just making fun of me?" I asked hurt.

"Yes." he replied.

"You shouldn't be that straight forward," I said looking down, "at least you could lie," I mumbled looking out of the window, I could feel tears forming in my eyes. 

Our food arrived but I refused to eat.

"I like making fun of you because you look so cute," he said after few moments, I looked at him weirdly. 

He glanced towards me and I could tell he was being serious now, "I pretended to not notice you, I wanted to see... to see if you are loyal enough for me, 'cause I need only one lady for my life," he looked down at the food.

"In 9th grade, after that bio-data incident I knew you were the one for me. When I finally decided to approach you, you made up a rumour that I was interested in your best friend." 

I looked down ashamed, "I was nervous... if anyone got to know my father would kill me" I mumbled.

He sighed, "I understood, that's why I stopped. It wasn't safe for you to start a relationship. But I couldn't seem to get away from you, I tried many times... all in vain."

He looked into my eyes, and took a pause, "I fell for you and that was the most beautiful time in my life," he said slowly.

My all time crush was sitting in front of me, confessing his love and I felt literally nothing. All this time he gave me butterflies, his thoughts running through my head since I was 14, all the tears I shed for him... I felt so much for him, but now I... I just couldn't feel anything.

I broke our gaze and looked down in my lap "It doesn't matter," I said and looked at him, "I'm married now, we're not children anymore."

"Yes and that's why I told you because we're not children anymore. We still have feeling for each other and live together." he said.

"And what?! If you told me earlier or later, it wouldn't matter because I was not in position to take decisions for my self. And now that I am... I am not going to break off my marriage for you." I said.

"It was a phase, I liked you I wanted you, but it's all different now. Please don't force anything now." I said irritated.

"Okay I won't. But we can be friends?" he asked. I nodded slowly.

"Yeah, now eat up, it costs way more then your makeup," he joked. I gasped, "Hey! Shut up!"

We finished and he dropped me home. I saw our Swift parked in the lot and went to pick up my dresses from the car.

I spent the rest of the day in the kitchen learning how to cook from youtube, I prepared dhokla first because I found it easy and to my surprise it was really good. Then I worked on making pulao. It was not much I didn't want to waste anything if I made a mistake, so I started with small amounts.

At nearly 6, Maa arrived. "Hi beta," she gave me a quick hug, which meant so much for me, "How was your day?" she asked putting her purse and bags on the sofa in the living room.

I gave her a glass of water, "What is that smell?" she asked excitedly, I smiled, "I prepared some pulao, but it's not enough for everyone." I said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Don't worry about it, let me taste it first I can't wait," she said picking up the spoon. I looked at her hopeful while she chewed, "Mm... Just some salt, it's amazing Sanaya!" she said happily.

"Oh I have something to show you!" she said walking out of the kitchen, "I got a form for a job at Lamke for you." she said giving me the form.

"Job?" I asked. "Yes, I've seen your dresses beta, I think you should sign up for some training and you'll be the bestest designer" she explained patting my cheeks.

I nodded slowly, "Okay, I don't even have work to do at home." I said. "Yay" she hugged me happily.

"Okay so tomorrow I'm asking my assitant to pick you up at 10 in the morning and rest of the instructions," she smiled. "I'll just get changed now." 

An hour later I heard a horn outside while Mom was busy in her office. I headed out to see it was Avni's bus. I smiled happily and went to pick her up. I helped her getting off the bus, but she didn't seem excited or anything, she was just looking down. 

When the bus was gone, I sat near Avni, "How was your day little sunshine?" 

She smiled, "I'm very tired I need a bath," I patted her hair, "Come on, I have prepared pulao and dhokla for you." I said but she didn't smile this time. 

Something was not up, but I decided to give her rest for the day, I'll ask her later. I took her to her room, "When you're ready come downstairs okay?" I said caressing her cheek.

"I don't want to come downstairs. Just give me my dinner here." she said. I shighed, "Okay don't worry. Just get a bath." I smiled and closed her door.

She acted very suspicious and scared. I thought of telling mom about it, but she was busy in some meeting on zoom. 

About half an hour later, the bell rang and it was Daksh. He was early I opened the door and he said hi. I gave him a you-don't-deserve-my-hi look, went into the kitchen. I offered him water because it was my nature to take care of people even if they hurt me. 

"You want some dhokla?" I asked him, his brows furrowed, "You made it?" he asked. "Who else would?" I said bored and gave him a bowl. He went to our room to change, and I knocked on Avni's door with some pulao and dhokla, but she didn't answer.

I opened the door to see her sitting on her bed in wet hairs staring into space. Sighing I entered the room and locked it. 

"Avni?" I called her, she looked at me with blank expressions, "Huh?" I smiled sadly and sat in front of her putting the tray on the table.

"Why do you have wet hair? You'd catch cold." I said touching her hair, she didn't reply. "Where's the drier?" I asked her searching through the drawers.

After I made her sit comfortably and dried her hair, I combed her hair, "Avni, I know something has happened, will you please tell me?" I asked softly, she looked at her lap playing with her fingers.

"You don't need to worry bacha, we're all here for you you know right?" I caressed her cheek and sat in front of her squeezing her hand to comfort her.

She sobbed a little, and said, "S-Something has h-happened bhabhi...."