Chapter 6

CH. 6 : The liar and the price he paid (1/3)

In a dimly lit office of Public Security Planning Division, a lone figure sat in one of the station, back straight and hands meticulously leafing through the massive amount of paperworks on his table. His green eyes darting from one sentence to the other, absorbing all the necessary information before jotting down some notes on his work journal then setting it aside into coordinated piles.

His right hand was about to reach for another files when his suit's inside-pocket begin to vibrate in earnest.

Taking out the smart phone with dark grey casing, Matsuda Issei briefly checked the ID before immediately hitting answer. "Sagara-san?"

The person on the other side wasted no time on giving him the information he has, "I found a new victim. Ikari Yusa, Isami academy's student. The first stage symptoms such as frequent tremors and unstable mood are already showing. He also has tendencies to be violent, so monitor him closely."

Matsuda's eyes widened with surprise, hands scrambling to take note of the new intel into his leather-clad journal. "Yes sir! is there anything else?"

The line went silent for a while after that, he waited with bated breath and kept glancing back to his screen, wondering if the call was still connected or not. It was.

It crackled for a while before he got his respons, "How's the victims?"

Ah. Matsuda recalled the report he had checked moments before. A hopeful smile briefly graced his lips, ke knew his boss heard it too from his tone, "There's this one, you know that young girl with ponytails? Yuu-chan!"

'Yuu-chan? ah, the girl that has given me a lead. She is smart but can't keep a secret, that's for sure.'

"What about it?"

His grin got bigger, "I heard from the doctor she's going to make it, despite her last stage's symptoms. She has been waking up after her coma from time to time. Even if she's barely coherent, Yuu-chan still can respond to the nurse and doctor questions when they checked on her. This is a good sign!"

Sagara can feel himself getting relieved. The knots that unknowingly has tied itself in his heart and suffocating him loosening a little. None of the other victims were conscious enough to answer questions or even just to speak something. They're all either too sluggish or in a coma, since the drug effects are working directly to the brain.

Suddenly he remembered that it's not even a month after his last mission. Every time he closes his eyes he can still see and hear the scared little children too terrified to even cry playing in his mind. Wondering and stressing and so terribly scarred that they hadn't even thought if they can get out of there alive and return to their homes.

Sagara Ryo may be the best of the best this country has to offer, on par to even All Might himself, and his heart may as well be dead by how it had hardened because of the dark reality of this world. But he still bleeds, still aches and worn by the fact that even he can't save all of them. The last mission was a total success, he knew, but it's not always been like that. There's something that just has to give, just like necessary causalities that he can't stop even if he wanted it, worked himself to death to get it.

So when he heard this joyful revelation, he let himself to hope for just a little. Just a little, even smaller than dust, tiny miracle.

He can't dare to hope for more. Since he knew he's bound to break when the reality show its merciless nature once again.

And god knows how much he has been broken.

.

.

.