Birdcage

We walk together, but our steps seem to differ. The pouring rain hits my shoulders as I turn to the female next to me to see that she is dry, holding the umbrella to herself.

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out; my heart beats throughout my body and rests in my throat. The cold rain started to make me shiver, but my love seemed opposite to her bright red puffer.

Finally, my words shoot out in the quiet pouring of the rain, “Do you love me?” My voice cracked from my heartbeat becoming louder, hitting against my eardrums. She continued to walk as if she didn’t hear me, so I repeated to her, “Do you love me?”

This time I stopped walking; I fully turned to her, the water dripping down from the tips of my dreads onto my dark sepia skin. She finally stopped but had decided not to look me in the eyes. So we stood in silence, me facing her side as she looked forward down the road. Unfortunately, her umbrella covered my view a bit, making me unable to see her entire face.

But the silence was enough.

“If you love me… Will you let me under the umbrella?” I whispered in denial—anything to be against her warmth in this pouring rain. The raindrops rolled down my cheeks, soon mixing with my salty tears.

She finally turned to me, her soft smile and rosy cheeks showing me comfort, but she did not let me inside the umbrella. Instead, her strawberry hair blew slightly in the wind as she began to walk away, leaving me.

And me, her new pet, followed behind—the rain continuing to fall over my head. Once again, in her birdcage.