Chapter 81: On the Run (Lemon)

Author's POV

Conrad and Celeste have been trying to avoid this, they knows there is no way they can avoid a fight. They were able to find out where you lived, but there is no way they'll be able to get on the property with the security ramped up to the max. Plus, at this point, they doubted they would be able to convince anyone to let them see you.

Honestly, even if they did manage to sneak in and track you down, they found it hard to believe you would just believe them anyway. So, this is their only option, they need to speak to someone close to you fast. They are running out of time, Lawrence is getting too close.

They can't go to the scouts, from what they gathered not everyone in the scouts can be trusted. There have been a couple members of the scouts delivering letters to Lawrence under Yelena's instruction. They also knew the Marleyan woman was working for the scouts too. They didn't know who they could trust, they know what it's like to manipulate people and lie behind a false identity, so they didn't want to take any chances.

They don't know where Peter is, it's not common knowledge that he works at the orphanage with you. After everything came out, he stayed under the radar, so they didn't know where to even begin looking for him. This is their only option left.

"I believe in you." Celese tries to encourage Conrad by offering him a pat on the back, figuring it would be more difficult to talk to Celeste than Conrad. Even though Conrad fucked over their marriage, Celeste was involved in the plot to kill your brother.

"Thanks." He mutters as he walks up to the door.

He takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh. He knocks on the door and steps back slightly, as if he were expecting to be struck by the door by whomever answered.

They hear the clicking of footsteps on the hard floor as someone approaches the door. Conrad didn't know what he was going to do if Katrina were to answer the door instead of an employee. He believes he can sweet talk his way past them, but probably not Katrina or Elizabeth. He wants to try and get in there before they could slam a door in their face.

Both Conrad and Celeste hold their breath as they see the knobs on the double doors rotate and slowly open. Conrad's breath catches in his throat and his heart drops as the person opens the door.

Katrina readjusted Seth on her hip as she opened the door. When she looked up to see who it was, her features darken right away, "Why the hell are you 2 here?" She glares at him and Celeste as she tightens her hold on Seth.

"Please, Kat-"

"Don't say my name!" She hisses.

"I know, I know what it must feel like to see us-"

"No, I really don't think you do. Do you know how I know that? If you did, you would turn around right now and get out of my site before I get on one of my carts and run you down before you reach the street."

"I understand, but please, you have to listen to me."

"I'm pretty sure when you divorce someone, you don't have to listen to a word they say anymore. I didn't divorce you to spend more time chatting with you and listening to the bullshit that comes out of your mouth. And you," she faces Celeste, "pretty sure when you killed my brother, you lost any right you thought you had to talk to me. Get out of here."

She steps back into the house so she could close the door on them, "Asher Neumann!" Conrad yelled desperately, hoping to capture her attention. Truth be told, he didn't know for sure if she would even know of that name. He doesn't know how involved you are in each other's lives.

But he had to try something to capture her interest, and lucky for him, she did, "H-how... Why are you-"

"Celeste and I have been monitoring Antheia for awhile now, remember her? Worked for Laurie," Conrad tries to hastily explain before she decides to shut the door on him, "anyway, the 3 of us have been living together for a while now. More recently we started noticing she was starting to act strange and evasive, so we started following her. Turns out she has found Laurie."