Chapter Two

Nora smiled as she saw Jace smiling and waving at her. Hoisting her backpack securely on her shoulders, she took the few steps up onto the pack healers veranda.

"Looking lovely today as you always do, Elenora." He gave her a charming smile. Walking past him and through the backdoor, she snorted.

"As charming as a slug." She muttered loud enough for him. Tamsyn the pack healer and her mentor chuckled.

"She is too smart to fall for that." Nora walked into the healer's open arms, accepting the affection she offered. Jace scowled at the teasing of his packmates, carrying the books that were sitting upon the table into the study they would use for their lessons.

"My head hurts." Jace groaned, head leaning onto Nora's shoulder. Nora snickered, running her fingers over the top of his head, patting it gently.

"There there my little grasshopper, you will understand.....one day." She added after a brief pause. Tammy burst into laughter, enjoying the submissive youth's barb. Growling lightly, Jace took Nora's hand, playfully nipping at her fingertips. Nora grinned, most the males her age did this affectionate gesture.

"No funny business." Tammy gave them a finger, her look serious. Nora recoiled from the male beside her, nose crunching in disgust.

"Eww." Standing up, she offered to get the refreshments from the kitchen. Walking into the kitchen, she gave a startled scream when she felt the tiny paws wrap around her leg. Heart swelling, she bent down, offering a pat to the tiny cub purring under her hand.

"I told you both, we will play later!" Tammy scowled, hands on her hips and eyes pinning her two cubs. Nora stood up, listening as the two cubs whined to their mother. Following Tammy back into the study, she sat down on the three-seater she shared with Jace, her legs folding as she picked her notepad up again. She felt a small furry weight curling on her lap.

"Roman." His mother sighed, rubbing her temples. Her eyes smiling when she made eye contact with her students. "I guess we have a few extra students."

A few hours later, Nora laughed as Jace was pounced on by the twins who attached the unsuspecting male.

"Run Nora, save yourself." He wailed. Nora jogged away, hearing the little paws of her pursuer. Smiling, she hid behind a tree, pretending to look the other way. She felt the small bundle jump, colliding with her stomach. The wind knocked out of her slightly, but her hands caught the cub before he could plummet to the ground. Cradling, she tickled the cub's stomach.

"Got you." She tested, hearing his little joyful cries. She couldn't help but smile as they both headed back to Jace and Julian who were wrestling around. Sitting down,s he stroked her hand over Roman who was contempt with the affection and attention he was getting. Julian joined a few minutes later, jealous he wasn't getting the same attention.

"I have to be careful, looks like I have competition for your attention."

"And you will lose." Nora smiled at him. Jace shook his head, eyes smiling at her. He knew that she didn't mean harm to his ego, he enjoyed her company. His phoned chimed, he fished out, jumping to his feet. He kissed the top of Nora's head before shouting a goodbye to Tammy and heading off. Nora and the twin walked into the house, the healer giving her a confused look.

"I thought you would be going off with the others tonight."

Nora gave her a confused look, head tilting to the side.

"Jace mentioned that him, Kit, Maya, Tamara, Sage, Nico and Lissa were heading to the pub for dinner tonight." Tammy slowed her words as she realized her mistake at the girl had not been invited. Nora gave her a smile, her eyes showing the hurt within.

"I wouldn't want to go anyway." She reassured the healer. Tammy gave the girl a look over, allowing her to keep her silence, though she would be giving an earful to the second Smith boy the second she had his ear in her fingers.

"Well lucky for you, we have pot roast tonight with crackle and chocolate pudding and ice-cream for dessert."

There were howls of delight at the cubs voices their excitement at the dessert they had heard. Nora grinned as Tammy winked at her.

Nora groaned as her phone refused to let her sleep. Her eyes squinted as she saw the code and scowled, declining the call. Nestling back into her bed, her head turned as her window was slowly being lifted.

"Seriously? Asleep my ass." Sage seethed as he silently broke into her room. Flipping him off, Nora wrapped the blanket around herself tighter, the pain of being left out fresh on her mind. Her bed dipped, causing her to grumble, shifting over to make room for the stubborn male.

"What do you want?" she snapped at him, glaring at him in the dark. She could see him perfectly as he could see her. Sage blinked, not breaking eye contact.

"Are you angry with me?" he asked, unsure where the anger was stemming from. Had he forgotten plans? He tried to rack his brain.

"That would imply I like you. At this stage if you were falling off a cliff, it would be because I pushed you." She hissed at him. Sage winced; he had pissed her off. Wrapping his arms around her smaller body, he pulled her closer to him. Nuzzling into her throat, he inhaled her scent.

"I'm sorry for whatever I did." He rubbed his cheek against hers, needing her forgiveness. He felt a sharp sting to his chin as her teeth nipped him. His eyes widened, body starting to stir with a hunger he was fighting daily. Nora felt Sage tense, his fingers digging into her hips that she knew she would bruise but she wasn't complaining. She narrowed her eyes as Sage starred at her, she felt something wash over her and before she could process, she turned herself around, offering him her back. He growled at her in warning. She felt her cat submitting to the growl, but the human was pissed and decided to keep her back to him. She felt teeth sink into her exposed shoulder as she wore a singlet and shorts. Her mouth opened, a strangled moan escaping as her body shuddered in ecstasy. Sage nipped at her chin; she felt him smile.

"Not mad at me anymore, are you?" his tone husky. Her mind fogged with lust and need, she knew he could scent her arousal which boasted his ego. Before her mind could completely turn to mush, her foot kicked, connecting with his shin. He hissed but made not other move.

"Not very nice, Nora."

"Neither...is.... biting someone." She said through staggered breaths.

"You started it." He grumbled. She cursed herself, how did she react so wildly to him and why now? They had spent so many years developing their friendship, first they hated each other. They had spent a few years slinging mud at the other. One day, she had been pushed over, her knee scrapped, and she cried. Sage had growled at the other boys, scarring them off quickly. He gave her a piggyback back to his home, they chatted about their favorite movie and why cats were better then wolves. Then they started to hang out, always getting into mischief together with Grey tagging along. Bas would sometimes be roped in, but he was a few years older and had other things he was more interested in. She had become apart of the Smith family.

"What are you thinking about?" Sage asked, his voice bringing her back to where she was.

"Nothing." She sighed.

"Tell me." He whispered, his hand stroked down her arm, calming her.

"How I plan to push you off a cliff." She answered, smirking. Sage growled.

"Mean."