Chapter 8 - A Priest's Forewarning

Chapter 8 – A Priest's Forewarning

-

"But Altair, you don't even just heal people—you purify them."

Keir used the back of her hand to get rid of the warm liquid falling down her eyebrows. Why does it seem like Altair was sweating more than everyone else? Was it the pressure of using his healing on Jaxith? Or was it because of something else?

"Isn't that the same thing?" Exadrin examined his earlier injuries, which Altair nearly healed to perfection.

The same thought that board over Keir's train.

Jaxith's body finally flew up again. "At first glance, yeah. Healing is curing the wounds and ailments, and purifying is getting rid of the infection and cleansing the wounded organ or cells. So basically, you can't fully heal anyone without purifying them first."

"Oh! So vampires actually just purify? But for all I know, they heal people too, right? And, Altair healed me earlier, didn't he?"

Jaxith lowered herself back to Altair's overly sweaty palms, displeased wiggle from her hood vibrating at the sticky contact. "You remember how they come in pairs when attending to the wounded?"

"Now that you mention it, yeah, I do."

"Thing is, some vampires are born with healing specialties and others of purifying specialty." Jaxith giggled, "Altair, stop trembling so much. Your palms are exuding so much sweat! It's sticky as Dwei!"

"S-shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!" His head shook aggressively with every phrase, his sweat glands sizzling in the lava as they flew away from his wet hair. "Not another word, Jaxith! Not! Another! Word!"

The boiling lava, drilling granite from other areas, and exploding flames echoing from a distance aided Altair's panting and trembling body.

Isn't purifying or healing pretty unique abilities? Why does it seem like Altair doesn't feel that way towards it? Humans would be delighted to have such skills.

"Alt-"

"No!"

"Altair jus-"

"No! I said no! Shut up! Shut the Dwei up!"

"Altair, you're being-"

"Shut up, Jaxith! I don't wanna hear it!"

"Altair, will you just please-"

"NO!"

"Altair, just listen-"

"I SAID NO! STOP, JUST STOP!" He bit his lip, his exasperated and loud voice silencing Jaxith completely.

His lips quivered as he opened them, only to close them, then he opened them up again. "Weren't you supposed to be... I-I thought you were the one person who would never force this on me, Jaxith." One wouldn't have known whether all the transparent liquid falling from Altair's face was simply sweat if it weren't for his low sobbing.

Altair is crying...?

"Altair... I..." Like marshmallows, Jaxith's voice became soft.

"I'm insufferable, unreliable, powerless, and a whiny child. You and I both know that. Everybody knows that."

"Altair, don't say that...."

"And yet, you stayed by me. So I thought, you...." Altair's fangs grazed the corner of his lips as a straight liquid fell down his chin from around his eyes. "...I hate myself, you know that, right? All the excitement I had with learning what my specialty would be disappeared just like that once I did-"