Chapter twenty-one

Claudia runs around the kitchen like a chicken with its head cut off when I tell her that Cohen is coming over for dinner. At first she was ecstatic but then she started mumbling things about ham and fine china. Now she's tossing things into the oven and mixing what looks to be a chocolate cake mix.

"What's with all the banging?" Cooper asks strolling into the kitchen.

"Lorelai's friend is coming over for dinner tonight," Claudia explains not looking up from the mixture in the bowl.

Cooper's eyebrows furrow, "What friend?"

I cringe inwardly at what is about to come. Now that Cooper thinks I have a crush on Cohen I know he's going to tease me to no end about it. I just hope he won't embarrass me later.

"Cohen," Claudia exclaims excitedly.

Cooper looks over to me with a huge smirk on face, "Cohen, eh?"

"Claudia wants to meet him since he's teaching me how to swim."

"Mhm, is that the only thing he's teaching you?"

My brows furrow in confusion, "Yes?"

Instead of sounding certain, it comes out as more of a question. What else would he be teaching me though?

"Cooper, stop teasing Lorelai," Claudia scolds finally looking up from her cake mix.

Cooper holds his hands up in surrender, "It was just a joke. It better be the only thing he's teaching her or else I'll kick his ass."

"Watch your language," she glares. "There better be none of that when our guest arrives."

Cooper sighs, "Don't worry, Mom. I'll be on my best behaviour."

She smiles evilly and points at him with a spoon covered in chocolate batter, "You better be or else no cake for you."

His face falls at the threat of no cake, "I promise!"

"Good. Now go get changed, Cohen will be here soon."

Cooper drags his feet out of the kitchen to do as she says and I step forward, "Are you sure you don't need help with anything?"

She glances up as she pours the batter into a cake pan, "I'm sure. Why don't you go get changed for dinner as well?"

Leaving the kitchen, I make my way up to my room in order to get ready. If I'm being honest, I'm kind of nervous for Cohen to come over tonight. I don't want Cooper to embarrass me. I just don't want to make a big deal out of Cohen teaching me to swim. I didn't want so many people knowing about it in the first place but it's too late for that now. Most of the class knows and I'm sure soon enough the whole school will know about my inability to swim.

I'm not as scared as I used to be of water. I realize now that my fear was misplaced all along. It wasn't the water itself I was afraid of, it was Samantha. She was the one that would punish me with water and now that she's gone I have nothing to be afraid of. Cohen will always be there to keep me afloat. I will always be safe in the water with him by my side.

I quickly change into a navy chiffon skirt and a white top with elbow length lace sleeves. Adding a thin black belt around my waist and a pair of black flats, I enter the bathroom to throw my hair into a messy braid. I blink, staring at myself in the mirror. I somehow look different than before. I look like I've seen things that no girl my age should have seen. It feels like I've matured since escaping from Samantha's grasp and I've learned so many new things. I've come to know what it feels like to have a real family and real friends. It finally feels like I can have a normal life.