Chapter six

"You can wear the purple one," Brae says enthusiastically, handing me a purple tiara.

I take it from her and she shoves a pink tiara on her own head. We're in her room after school on Wednesday, playing princesses, and I get to wear the purple tiara. School wasn't too bad today since the gym teacher was out sick so we didn't have to be near the water at all.

"Thank you," I grin.

"Would you like some tea?" she asks, holding up a plastic tea pot. An empty plastic tea pot, I might add.

"Yes, please," I take a fake sip, humming contently, "This is some great tea, Brae."

"Thank you, I made it myself."

I chuckle at her innocence and continue to 'drink' from the tea cup. Apparently princesses drink tea. At least, that's what Brae told me. She's dressed in a pink princess costume and she wanted me to wear the purple one, but I'm a bit too tall for the dress meant for six year olds.

"Do you like it here, Lorelai?"

I look up from the tea cup to see a hopeful look on her face, "I do like it here. It's much better than my old house."

"Mommy says you were taken away from us. Who took you away?"

My face drops at her innocent question, knowing she doesn't understand what happened.

"A very bad woman took me away. But she won't take me away ever again, Brae."

"That's good. You're the best sister ever, Lorelai" she giggles happily.

I smile, "Thank you, but I think you're the best sister ever."

Brae and I have gotten close over the past few days and I have really grown attached to the little girl. She's probably the only one I feel completely comfortable around.

"Am I really?"

"Of course you are, silly girl."

"Cooper is a good brother but he doesn't like to play princesses with me," she pouts.

I laugh, "That's because he's a stinky boy. I'm here now to play princesses with you any time you want."

"Yay!" she squeals knocking over the tea pot.

"Brae, can I borrow Lorelai for a little while? I'd like to have her help me make dinner," Claudia asks, coming into the room.

"But mommy we were having tea!" she whines.

"I'd really like her help. Can you continue to have tea later?"

Brae crosses her arms with a frown on her face and it doesn't look like she's going to give in.

"We can play later. I promise and I always keep my promises," I tell her, removing the tiara from my head.

"Great, meet me in the kitchen after you wash up," Claudia says leaving the room.

"Why don't you go watch a movie until dinner is ready?" I ask Brae.

"Okay. I love you, Lorelai," Brae says wrapping her arms around my waist.

My eyes widen. What do I say? Should I say it back? I've never said I loved anyone before.

I settle with, "Thank you."

Brae laughs, "You're silly."

I sigh, "I know. Let's go help your mom now."

"She's your mom too," she looks up at me.

"Right," I nod awkwardly.

She's right. I have a mom now. One who actually wants and cares for me.