Chapter one

Squeals of laughter from the other orphanage kids assault my ears as I sit on my temporary springy mattress. My arms are wound tightly around my knees, staring into space, waiting for Megan to show up. I can't believe how much my life has changed in the last few weeks. Getting out of that place was the best thing I have ever done. I had always felt as if I didn't belong there and now my theories are confirmed.

My mind flashes back to that fateful night all those weeks ago. It was the night my whole life changed.

The house was dark and silent when I poked my head out of my tiny room. Quietly slipping passed the door, I was still dressed in my navy blue pyjama pants and white t-shirt. I froze at the bottom of the stairs when I saw a figure slumped on the couch in front of the glowing television but closed my eyes in relief when I realized she was asleep. Her greasy brown hair was tied in a loose braid, a pair of jeans fit her legs, and an oversized sweater swallowed her top half. Samantha could have been pretty if she took care of herself. I guess grief really does age you.

Tip-toeing across the living room to get to the kitchen, my eyes caught on glinting metal in the glow of the TV. Seconds pass as I stood immobile in front of her, afraid to make that first move to escape. What if she woke up? What if I got caught? But what if I make it out?

Knowing that that was my one and only chance at escaping, I inched my way over to the table, and reached out with shaky fingers to take hold of the keys. I didn't even pause to change or put on shoes. I just quietly made my way to the front door, unlocked it, and then never looked back.

Goosebumps had formed on my exposed arms from the cool January Arizona air and I shivered as I stumbled off the porch. As soon as my bare feet touched the asphalt I broke out into a run, bolting down the empty street and didn't stop until I found a police station.

"Can I help you?" the officer at the front desk asked.

"I need some help," I fidgeted.

"What do you need help with?"

My mouth opened to say something but I hesitated. What if they didn't believe me?

"Why don't you have a seat and an officer will be with you shortly."

Dropping my shoulders, I did as he asked and sat down on a wooden chair near the desk. I could tell he was keeping an eye on me the whole time until another officer appeared in front of me.

"I'm officer Bradwick but you can call me Dean. Can you come with me so we can talk?" the officer smiled gently.

I nodded and followed him into a room that looks like an office. Dean sat behind the desk and gestured for me to sit down in front of him.

"Would you like something to drink?" he asked as I sat down on one of the cold chairs.

"No thank you."

I remember shivering as heat caressed my freezing skin. The thin fabric of my pyjamas did little to keep me warm in the cold air outside.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Lorelai Wakely," I replied quietly.

"Okay Lorelai, do you think you can tell me what you need help with?"

"I think..." I hesitated but continued upon seeing the concern in his eyes. "I think I was kidnapped."

His eyes widened and he sat up straighter, "You think you were kidnapped?"

I nodded and he asked me to explain. I told him that I don't remember much from when I was younger but a few years ago Samantha told me that she didn't take me just for me to end up like Anna. I didn't understand what she meant but while she was gone to work I searched the house and found an article about a girl named Anna Wakely. It said she had died when she was ten by drowning in a swimming pool. I knew from experience that that was a lie.