Chapter thirty

"Do you want to go out with me?"

For such simple words, it sure had a huge impact. Thinking back to that moment that was just four days ago I remember how nervous Cohen looked. He looked like he was about to pass out, or throw up, or maybe even both.

"What?" I asked, thinking I had heard him wrong.

One of his hands rubbed the back of his neck, "Go on a date with me?"

I had gaped open mouthed at him for what seems like forever until a wounded look spread across his face, "I get it if you don't want to."

I shook my head to gather my thoughts, "As in more than friends?"

"Yeah," he nodded, looking over at me once we stopped at a red light.

"You like me?"

His ears turned red, "It wasn't obvious?"

I shook my head. He reached over and took my hand, "I've liked you for a while now, Sunshine."

My face flamed in response and I murmured shyly, "Me too."

"So you'll go out with me?"

He had such a hopeful look on his face but I had been hesitant to agree. What if it doesn't work out between us? Would he still want to be friends? I voiced my concerns.

"I'll always be there for you, Sunshine," he replied. "I think there's something between us that has the possibility of being great and I think we owe it to ourselves to give it a shot. So many bad things have happened to us that I think it's about time something good happens."

How could I say no after that spiel?

We agreed that we should wait until after the swim test to have our date. As soon as he dropped me off at home I ran inside to tell Claudia that I finally understood and that her advice worked. I also told her about the date and she nearly deafened me with squeals of excitement. She talked my ear off all night about what I should wear and where I think he'll be taking me.

"Are you nervous?" Logan asks, throwing an arm over my shoulders and effectively snapping me out of my thoughts.

Instead of answering him, I ask, "Where's Cohen?"

"He had to stay after class but he'll be here soon. You know he wouldn't miss this."

He's right. Cohen promised he'd be here and give me a pep talk before my turn but when I walked into the room he was nowhere to be found. I thought that after our conversation on Thursday when he asked me out it would be awkward between us but it's as if nothing has changed. He still treats me the same as before except there seems to be more touching. We'll just be sitting next to each other in class, or on his car, and his hand will brush against mine, or he'll wrap his arm around my shoulder just like Logan is now.

"You know, he told me about your date," Logan teases with a smirk. "Lorelai and Cohen sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G..."

"Logan!" I hiss in embarrassment. "How did you know about that?"

"He told me about it on Saturday."

"Of course he did," I mutter quietly.

Logan chuckles, "Don't be embarrassed, Lore. I knew it would happen. Only an idiot wouldn't notice the sexual tension between you two."

My face flames, "Oh yeah, well I can say the same about you and Peyton."

Now Logan blushes and grunts in discomfort as he notices the girl in question standing just a few feet away. I made sure to speak quietly enough so that no one could hear except Logan. I don't want to out his feelings if he's not ready. It's for him to tell her how he feels and not me. I just hope he gets the courage to do so soon. I know how much he likes her and Logan needs someone in his life to care for him.