His Moon (DW Part 2)

They'd had Stiles for less than an hour before Derek realised. He may have Stiles' schedule memorised but he did try not to full out stalk the mage, the betas judged him enough as it was.

They had known the collector was in town, though with so many of them qualifying as supernatural oddities it was unclear who she was after. Stiles was so subtle and beneath the radar there was no way anyone had worked out what he truly was, so he had been of least concern.
But apparently according to the note and burner phone at their pack house, he'd not been taken on his own merit. A fact, both a blessing and a curse.

Danny had managed to triangulate Stiles' location from one of the trackers the mage had insisted they all carry secretly in their shoes, but that took an hour, and the drive was a long tension filled one.
They were only half an hour away when the burner phone rang.

Lydia put it on speaker, and they all listened to the conversation they were apparently invited to eavesdrop.

"This man is the known consort of the Hale Alpha!" Came a whiny voice, followed by a familiar snort.

"At least they haven't broken his sense of humour yet." Murmured Boyd.
Erica rolled her eyes, "that doesn't tell us anything, Stiles could be dying and his last words would be a pun."

"Confirmation required." Demanded a woman with such entitlement she could only be the one in charge. Perhaps even the collector herself.
There was some rustling and no convenient commentary but whatever confirmation was offered, was apparently satisfactory as when she spoke again it was to ask; "So, where is Derek Hale now?"
Finally Stiles' voice bright with false cheer came over the speaker: "I haven't the faintest idea."
Scott snorted.

The collector seemed to be just as doubtful, for what reason Derek had no idea.
"Is that credible?"
"It's true." Was Stiles' dry reply.

The werewolves didn't miss the way his breath hitched, he was clearly injured. Isaac didn't need Derek's sharp look to put his foot on the accelerator.

"You're the man he loves." Asserted a male voice. Derek flushed.
"No, I'm not." Was the far too relaxed and immediate reply. It was so confident it threw most of the group for a loop, though Lydia rolled her eyes. Derek was rather hurt, he knew his communication skills were poor, and he wasn't the funniest or most interesting, but to be dismissed so immediately by Stiles hurt him a lot more than he expected.

"He's lying!" Yelled the male.
And Stiles replied, still calm and far too matter of fact. "Derek Hale does not and has never loved me. I'm not lying."

"Your communication skills are shit." Muttered Jackson dryly but was shushed so Lydia could hear the conversation continue.

"You aren't, are you?" Commented the collector sounding absurdly amused.
"Impossible. This is a trick!"
Derek could hear the smile in Stiles' voice, "No, it isn't."
"My information is correct. You are the man who loves Derek Hale!"

Ah, so this was how Derek got rejected, second hand and with all his pack watching his reactions at close quarters, live and in stereo.

"Yes, I am." - Wait what? - "I've never denied it. But whoever said he loved me back?"

Derek froze very still in the passenger seat. Stiles said it so easily. Over the terrible audio, Derek couldn't hear his heartbeat but he knew the man well enough now to pick up a lie by tone. Stiles Stilinski wasn't lying.

In fact in true Stilinski fashion, and obviously with no idea they were listening in, he proceeded to ramble.
"He's Derek Hale. He doesn't go around falling in love with people. Especially not spazzy skinny guys who get themselves kidnapped all the time. And if you think he's anything that small or that ordinary, such a cliché fairytale hero... then you haven't the first idea of who you're dealing with."