Chapter 5

After falling asleep in the car, you knew nothing of what occurred next. You could feel everything but wasn't willing to wake up. The day had you exhausted and you hadn't even done anything of warrant to cause it. Eventually, you felt yourself being lifted out of the seat and carried. You presumed, from your sleeping form, that you were taken inside by Kazue and placed in bed. Which was when you let your body fully succumb to sleep. Even though you knew what was to come only ever caused you pain.

Darkness. It was the only thing you thought ever engulfed you in such a moment of what you wanted to be bliss. The dark room, damp ceiling. Tiny flickering light at the end of the hall that never stopped swaying. The overly large metal door between you and freedom. Freedom? It was such a foreign word to you. Day in, day out you faced the same thing that time just seemed to stop.

"Are you willing to comply today?" A voice erupted into the darkness.

The voice was gruff, almost dry as it always was. It was the one voice you feared. More than the one that ever left your father's lips. This was the voice of the man who would physically and even mentally harm you to get what he wanted. But you never gave in. Never.

"Never. Why would I ever comply with your demands?" You spat.

You knew you shouldn't have, but it was the only way you could actually get your point across. That you were never going to crumble to the villains demands. No matter how much they put you through. You'd never stoop low enough to entertain them.

"You know, one of these days I hope you crumble." He says before placing a hand on your arm.

"No!" You jolted upright, panting for breath.

But it never came. Your body shaking and your breathing all over the place. Yet you couldn't gain control over it. No matter how hard you tried. Suddenly, a nervous knock on your door caused your attention to immediately flicker to it. The door then opened, revealing two figures stood at it. Your eyes struggling to adjust to the light before you eventually noticed who was stood at your door. Kohaku and Kazue. Both with worried expressions evident on their features.

Kazue was the first to enter the room fully as well as being the first to speak.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked.

You stared up at her with fear in your eyes before answering. "N-nothing. I'm fine." You reply before averting eye contact.

"I know you don't want to talk about it, but we both could hear you screaming and yelling from down the hall. Was it a nightmare?" Kazue asked.

You nodded, not answering her question with words. You didn't exactly know how to explain the experience. You didn't exactly know if you could call it a nightmare or not. Sure, it definitely aroused feelings of intense fear, horror and distress, but it felt so real. You knew it happened. So how could it really be called a nightmare? It wasn't a dream. It was more a flashback of something you had priorly experienced. Almost as if your brain wanted you to relive such an awful moment.

"I'll go get a glass of water." Kohaku said before leaving.

"It's okay, you're okay now." Kazue tried to reassure.

"But what if they come after me again?" You asked.

"Well, there are people all around you who would be willing to protect you. I'm sure of it." Kazue reassured.

"The class doesn't know. I haven't had my formal introduction yet either." You explain.

"Do you want your class to know?" Kazue asked.

"No. I don't want to see their faces of pity. I refuse to accept pity." You pause. "You know, having time to think over my thought has made me realise I'm somewhere between giving up and seeing how much more I can take." You reply.