Twenty Five

The end...or is it...?

Part of this will be the opening to the sequel ;P

----------------------

     Boy nodded to Lauren.

     "Only 33. It looks like they are separated into five different groups. There are ten there," Boy pointed out a location, "eight there, four there, five there, and six there."

     The women followed where he pointed closely, both making sure to remember the locations as bed they could.

     "There's more animal life in other places and we cannot scan for anything underground. There may be more yet. There's another large lake on the other side of the planet, but there was nothing there. Only plant life." Trash told them.

     "God, there should have been at least a thousand people. What happened?" Lauren whispered, moving closer.

     "You'll have to figure that out on your own, I'm afraid. Trash and I will not step foot on your new planet; soon it will be good bye forever." Boy shrugged.

     Anna had not thought about that fully. She knew that if these two aliens had followed them down to Blister, then the likelihood of a repeat of the Star Singer was pretty high. That meant she would never see Boy again, never had that Connection she was starting to think so fondly of. 

     Boy set Anna down and moved to one of the many objects in the room. He tapped some buttons and both women were nearly thrown off their feet as the ship moved closer to the planet. There was a sound behind Anna and she glanced back; the door had been left open and the rest of the crew of the Star Singer was standing there in awe.

     "We finally made it." Ben whispered, earning a happy pat on the back from Sirius.

     "Welcome home, Ladies and gents," Kelly announced with pride as they all stared at the planet as it got larger and larger.

     Within no time at all, the Salam's needle was resting among the clouds above a human settlement. Trash helped the humans into the pod they would be using to get to Blister. Kelly actually was so please, she let him carry her storage container into the pod. As everyone gathered to leave, Boy pulled Anna back and Kelly stepped in her way as she tried to board.

     "You'll be staying." Kelly announced.

     "WHAT?!" Anna, Ben, Sam, and Kass all shouted in collective shock.

     "Oh for God's sake, you can't tell me you idiots weren't expecting that?" Sirius snorted, "There had to be some  form of payment for this. Don't you remember?"

     Everyone fell silent and Boy laughed. Anna was unsure of how to feel. These may very well be the last humans she saw in her life, regardless of how long or short it was. And she would be trapped with a pair of male aliens that might or might not eat her alive. But...she felt more of a bond with them now than her own people. She did not fight Boy at all as he clutched her tightly against himself.

     "Maybe, if all goes well, we'll meet again someday. But...I sure hope not." Kelly sneered.

     At that same moment, Trash prodded a button and the pod's doors slid shut. Benn shoved Kelly aside and tried to pry the door open, shouting something, but the others held him back. Anna smiled thankfully at him; at least she knew one of them had truly cared. And then the pod was gone.

     The pod went hurtling down toward Blister, but within it, there was no sense even of falling other than what those inside could see. It was cramped; the pod was clearly made for one, maybe two of the Salam, not all of these humans and their cargo. Regardless, the trip to solid ground was steady and kind, especially after everything they had been through. The near lack of movement made all of them feel unsteady on their legs.

     Kelly was huddled in the corner farthest from the door, doing something with her box as the others tried to give her as much space as they could. Ben, distraught and still wounded, stood at the door, watching as the needle like ship that had brought them here quickly became nothing more than a speck in the sky far above, soon to be covered by brownish clouds. Still, he watched, his heart stricken with the horror of having so easily left Anna behind with those monsters.

     "What's the plan when we touch down?" Sam called out.

     "We need to find the nearest colony," Lauren started to say, but Kelly suddenly laughed, cutting the other woman off.

     "I don't think things will be as easy as that." She said gruffly.

     There was a click and a soft hiss as cold, stale air filled the cabin. Kelly had opened the top of her cold storage box. The others could not contain their curiosity; even Ben turned his head to gloomily look to see what was going on. His eyes widened, however and a stiff silence fell on the crew of the Star Singer.

     "Kelly, why do you have those?!" Kass gasped in shock after several long moments.

     "It never hurts to be prepared. Come on, come take your pick. I have a feeling that things are going to get real interesting once we get home," she cackled and then met Ben's eye.

     Ben flinched and looked away, a cold sweat forming on his skin as he swiftly returned his gaze to the outside. It was night time on Blister, so not much could be seen on the ground below; shapes of trees maybe and some light from what he had to assume was a near by colony. Their sleek landing pod gave off no light and he could not be sure if they were seen or not. He felt movement beside him and glanced up to see Kelly standing beside him, her eyes on the ground below.

     An evil gleam suddenly light up her eyes and she grinned. A nasty, unfriendly look, and she pointed down to the ground below. 

     "Just as I feared. Look," she called and pointed.

    Those who could gathered closer to look. Below them were two figures, swiftly getting closer. One seemed human and the other...an all too familiar shape chasing after.

     "Prepare for landing," Kelly cackled, hefting a lightweight, black gun into both her hands. Ben looked down in time to meet the terrified gaze of the human woman running just below them when, with a near deafening boom, their craft landed directly on top of the woman and her pursuer.