Chapter six : the Red Sword

They had only been walking for about 30 minutes when Amara started getting bored.

"Someone should tell a story this is boring,"

"My dear child we have only been walking for thirty minutes, I am afraid to tell you that we have about three - hundred sixty - five hours left." Greaic spoke looking up from the whittling he had been doing.

"I think I may die then." she responded, sighing.

"Do not be so dramatic little one," a deep voice rang through their heads. "Maybe Greaic will tell you the story of how he became a Elf of Reddrales."

"Oh would you please?"Amara pleaded. Greaic and Emrys made eye contact both knowing full well why he joined them.

"Um. Sure, I decided to join after I lost someone in my life," Greaic started feeling Emrys' eyes on him. "Our leader and his brother, Elder Jared and Nikolas, came to me, and asked me to consider joining because they knew of my skill. I didn't even give it a second thought before I said yes. The training started the next day. I trained with Elder Jared, he said he didn't trust anyone else with my training. I trained for weeks before I was ready to take on the trials of the Reddrales"

"What does that mean?" Emrys spoke up, not looking at Greaic.

"The Vales of the Red Sword." Greaic answered quickly. "It's a big Vale with houses built into the sides of the surrounding mountains, and the meadows are these beautiful training grounds, and in the center of it all, is a beautiful pavilion where the Red Sword stood."

"Stood?" Amara asked.

"Yes, I'll get there if I can continue, may I?" Greaic said, receiving nods. "Good, The trials of the Red sword start off with hand-to-hand combat with Nikolas, which I passed with ease. The second is a battle of stealth which is not as easy as it sounds but that is why I can scale trees so quickly, I passed after the second try. That trials continue the next day, because the last two trials are the hardest. The third trial is a battle of pain," Greaic continued finally looking at Emrys, seeing him cringe at the different trials. "You start off with small minor pain like cuts or hits, but then you move to long cuts and then you fight while your body is overtaken by the pain. If you succumb to the pain, you don't move on, they heal you and send you home but if you fight through it you move on to the last trial. The trial of the Red Sword, you go head to head with the wielder and the sword, the wielder is immortal and was the original person to ever fight with the sword. He is absolutely terrifying, he knows nothing else but to protect that sword.  I almost died in this trial, we fought for three hours. Blow after blow I landing only four on the wielder, he landing at least eight. I made it in after finally besting the sword the first elf to do it in under 5 hours.

"We spend hours upon hours training everyday, and are only put out on assignment when the situation is truly dire. One day we were training just like normal when we heard an unusual disturbance," Greaic continued looking at Amara. "We saw the wielder running towards the pavilion that held the Red Sword and it was gone. Just like that there were no new elves of the Red Sword so they were not happy when I left to come here." Greaic finished, going back to the whittling he was doing.

"That's it? You didn't go look for the sword? What does the wielder do now? I need more!" Amara exclaimed. The low growling voice of Callister erupted in their minds.

"There is no more to tell small one. That is the end of his story, and I imagine that the wielder is out looking for the sword," the dog's head turned towards Greaic, realizing he stopped paying attention as soon as he finished his story.

"But--"

"Quiet yourself child," Callister growled. And she did.