Chapter 1 : Don't look back.

Every morning is the same for me, I woke up, take a bath, have the servants prepare my clothes and fix my hair. However, today is special.

   I stared at the window, feeling the ambiance of the view opposite to my room.

   Finally, the day where we can all dine in a table, together.

   There is only one time per year that I can have a dinner with both my father and mother, and that was my birthday. Strange? You might ask, but it was nothing out of an ordinary for some place like the Ducal Mansion.

   My father, Duke Magnus, is a very occupied person. He is the grandmaster of the knights of this country, meaning he is the greatest swordsman among everyone excluding the royals. He spent most of his days, signing documents, going out for expeditions and missions and many more. Admirable isn't it? I think so too! Although, we don't see each other often I always try my best to greet him whenever we came across each other.

   My mother, Lady Adeline Dury Haile-Magnus is a great person. She was considered the flower of society when she was young, many men admired her. She is also someone I look up to.

  With that said, I'm very excited for today.

  " Young Lady, the Duchess asks for your attendance in her office. " a servant came in to inform me.

  " I'm coming. "

----

  " Mother, I heard you looked for me. " I said while opening the door slowly.

  " You're here, sit down. " she said.

   Come to think of it, mother never usually calls me unless it was something important. I wonder what she wants to say.

  " Do you still remember the dress you wanted? The shop owner said it's completed by now. We should get it now so you can wear it later at the dinner. " she said straightforward as always.

    My mother looked at me with judging eyes, looking for my next move when she ended her sentence

  " O-Of course mother! I'll be getting ready. " I quickly got up from my seat and went to the door.

  " Remember to compose yourself, stuttering is not a good characteristic for a lady. " she reminded me.

   I was nervous for a bit, when she said that. Although mother was always like that, I know she cares for me. She might be just stressed from her work.

   I went to my room and asked the maids to prepare my outdoor clothing. As they finished fixing my appearance, I immediately went downstairs to prepare for departure.

   The dress, we will be getting today is special to me. When I first laid my eyes on it, I immediately thought of my parents. The color of their hairs, really matches the color of the gown and somehow I thought I would enjoy wearing it because of how it resembles the traits of the people I love.

   Without a single a-do, the coachman started the carriage as soon as my mother came.

---

  " Timothy " I heard a voice called my name.

  " Yes, mother? " I responded.

  " Have you ever wondered why you were named Timothy? " She asked out of nowhere.

   To be honest, I never wondered. I was just grateful that I was born with a name given by my parents, and I think they would also name me befitting of what they want for me so I think it is alright.

   " I would never dare to. " I responded calmly.

   " What a poor child. " I flinched when I heard what Mother said.

   " I suppose it is alright for me to tell you now that you are 6 years old, I can also see that you are very mature than children your age. " My mother said.

   Now, I'm getting curious.

   " Well, it wouldn't hurt to tell you. When you were just a newborn baby I never wanted you, instead I wished for a son. "

   " I was never lucky at love, so how can I be lucky with my child? Haha, I never should have hoped. "

   " Timothy, is a male name. At least, in name, you can be a son. "

   I was shocked with what I just heard. I never thought my mother never thought of giving birth to someone like me.

  " T-Then, do you hate me mother? " I asked, I was hoping that she would refuse.

  " Hate you? Pfft. " She giggled sarcastically.

   I was relieved for a second but then.

   " I hate myself more. I regretted everything, falling in love, getting married and giving birth to you. " She said with a bitter smile.

   " If I knew he---" My mother's words got cut off when a knight shouted from the outside.

   " Your Highness, we are under attack! " He alarmed us.

   Under attack? All of a sudden?

   " Tsk. Is it them? " My mother whispered to himself.

  " Timothy, wear this. " She gave me a very long cape enough to cover my entire body.

  " You are intellegent, so I'm sure you knew the situation. Run in the woods, as far as you can. Don't look back. " She said while pushing me outside.

  " But what about you? " I worriedly asked.

   " Don't worry, they are not called Knight of Magnus for no reason. " She said.

   This is worse, I never get to talked with my mother this long and yet it happened because we are under attack.

   " No matter what happens, don't look back. " She said pushing me at the window behind the carriage.

   I would like to ask her come with me. Hold my hand. I want to say, I'm scared. I can't go. I was worried.

   And yet, for the very first time. My mother smiled back at me genuinely while I also thought ever since I was very young  that was the last thing my mother would do.

    I tried to run as far as I can as I heard the clanking noises of metals, the swords clashing, the screams of people and the my own footsteps.

   I will always remember that, that day was very cold and white, and for the first time in my life. I felt someone protecting me.

   " Don't look back. "

•••••

[A/N: How was the first chapter? Let me know in the comments! You can also ask question and I will do a Q&A chapter. Thank you!]