Chapter 7: Sacrificial Agreement

After they brought me to the mansion I passed out, most probably because of the impat when I fell. I was probably asleep for the whole day, and I wasn't able to bid the prince and emperor goodbye.

" Timothy? You're finally awake! Let's go! Father is waiting for you. "

However, as soon as I woke up, Leora's face welcomed my day. Father has called for me again.

Despite of making her cry few days ago, she's here again. I don't know if she's just numb from negative feelings or she's really just that kind.

I knew very well the reason why he asked for me.

After getting dressed, Leora pulled me to the Duke's Office.

We ran around the hallway, as Leora cheerfully greeted every servant she come across with. If only we were normal sisters, we probably can do this eveyday, unfortunately we are not.

" Daddy! Timothy is awake! " she cheerfully announced in the office.

As I looked straight ahead, I became aware of the surroundings.

Father was talking with someone else just now, Sir McCarthy, the financial advisor of the Duchy. He was very shocked by what happened, I guess it was his first time meeting Leora. As someone who knows the Duke well, he knew very well how my father would react.

" Y-Young Miss! " the voice of a qorried man echoed in the hallway as he chased after the little lady.

" Father! Father! Look I draw something! My teacher said it looks nice! " an innocent girl opened the Duke's Office without restraint, excited to show her piece of art.

She was happily smiling as she showed the paper that shows her hardwork of making such a picture.

A family picture.

The man sitting on the table put his palm over his face as disappointment overcome him, his meeting was interrupted.

" Who let the young lady in? " he spoke coldly.

It was just a few words but the child already knew, the change in the atmosphere and the trouble she just entered.

" I-I entered to show you this, father! " she exclaimed despite of knowing the mood inside the room.

" What is this piece of paper? You interrupted my meeting for nonsense? " the man spoke in full authority.

He threw the paper away on the floor, not even caring a bit how much the girl treasured a piece of paper.

" I will immediately get the Young Miss, Your grace, please continue you meeting. We're very sorry for the interruption. " the man with glasses exclaimed as he carried the little girl in his arms.

" N-No, my drawing! Teacher! My drawing is still there! " the girl begged.

" Hush, Timothy you should know if the Duke is mad, we can't do anything about it... " the man explained to the child.

Tears formed into her eyes and a child's cry echoed in the hallway.

However, that doesn't apply to Leora.

" My little Leora, come here. " he spoke gently, asking the girl to come to him.

" Next time, ask first before entering the office. " he taught the daughter.

" Is Daddy mad at me? " the girl pouted.

" Why would I be? My daughter is not perfect. " he replied.

" Your daughter interrupted my meeting, are you even teaching her basic ettiquette manners? How can a lady of Magnus barge in an important meeting? "

As I heard their conversation, I was reminded of the past. When mother was here.

" Now, I need to talk to Timothy alone, can you leave us for a while? " he asked the little lady.

" Okay! " she jumped down father's lap and went outside.

Sir McCarthy and the Butler also left the room and I was left alone again, with Father.

" I apologize for making Leora cry the other day. " I bowed in front of him.

" It's not me who shall hear your apology, say that to Leora later. " he spoke.

" Also, if you're trying to get my attention by falling of a tree know that it won't work, you'll be just wasting your life over such useless things. " he continued.

I flinched when I heard what he said. Yesterday's incident wasn't intentional, it happened accidentally and now he's accusing me of  doing it intentionally?

" Father, I--"

"And I talked with the Emperor yesterday, you will be engaged with the crown prince. " he announced.

I was stunned, I know he also noticed it. How the prince looked at Leora yesterday, but why is he doing this? Don't he love Leora?

" What about Leora? Why me? " I asked out of frustration.

" She is too innocent to be in the circle of society. I know you know it too, she's fragile. She can't be the prince's fiancè. However, in the future if the fate allows, if the prince really likes her, I'll allow them to be together. " he spoke.

After hearing such words, my heart ached.

So in this engagement I'm just a rebound? Third-Party? or perhaps a replacement?

" You are more mature than her, if you held the title of the Crown Prince's fiancé I'm sure you can handle it. " he continued.

He praised me.

" I shall do as you said, father. " I agreed.

" I think you were about to say something earlier, what was it? " he spoke.

" It was nothing, father. "

" Well, you can go to your room. "

I turned my back as I leave the room, I looked through the window and saw Leora playing with the servants as she usually does.

I wonder sometimes if I was born as her, would I experience the same life?

I wonder, if I was born on a different mother, would I have a better life?

Or maybe if I wasn't born at all wouldn't all the misfortunes happen in the Duchy?

I continued to walk to my room.

I shouldn't think about such things, finally I can be useful to father.

Finally I heard him say my name.

Finally I heard him praised me.

I should be glad but my heart still aches.

My knees weaken and I slowly felt fuzzy, I saw a figure coming to me as my eyes slowly gave up.