Chapter 9: A Pleasant Dinner

After spending my time sitting in the corner of banquet hall, humiliated by nobles, it's finally time for the private dinner.

However, contrary to what it should be. The hall was occupied by an overbearing silence. Everyone was to busy with their own plates.

In the past, this type of occasions are what I was always looking forwardm but today doesn't seem to be that type of day.

I looked at the plate, trying to enjoy the meal serve before me but the remnants of what happened earlier remains on the back of my head.

The voices of judgement, that reminds me of how imperfect I am.

" Today was really an enjoyable occassion, wasn't it? " the emperor broke the silence.

It wasn't for me though.

" It is indeed, Your Majesty. " I replied trying my best to keep my composure.

I know that if I speak my honest thoughts the mood will change, I have to help his majesty to make the atmosphere enjoyable as possible.

" It was not at all. " the empress spoke.

"Empress, what made you so unhappy? " the emperor asked his wife.

The Duke continued on his plate while all the others looked at the empress waitint for her answer.

" Theon, you know what you did. " the empress spoke.

" What, mother? I just did what I wanted to do. " the brat spoke confidently.

" Theon! How many times do I have to tell you? You have to follow the customaries. " the empress exclaimed in a worried manner.

" Mom! I don't want her! I don't want her as my fiancé! Why do you keep on telling me what I don't want to do? " the Prince answered back.

" Theon! " the emperor was agitated when he heard Theon answer the empress back.

" Moreover, Duke Magnus, I never expected you to raise your daughter like this. " the empress put her palm over her face.

" Your Majesty, you seem to be misunderstanding something. It was the Prince who invited my daughter for a dance. " the Duke replied calmly.

" Which your daughter could have rejected. Moreover, I know that Lady Leora knows very well that the Prince is engaged to Lady Timothy and the prince is very reckless. They should apologize to Lady Timothy. " the empress replied.

" T-Theon asked me for a dance, so I-I thought.. " Leora's voice shaked.

The atmosphere is heating up and I noticed the Duke is about to stand too. I should put an end to this before it became worse.

" Your Highness! " I stand up from my chair and bowed.

" I apologize on behalf of the prince and princess, I have failed to tell them how to behave. I should be the one to blame. Please calm your anger. " I spoke sincerely.

I know this is the only way I could save both parties, if I don't do this who knows what will happen next.

After hearing me apologize, the hall became shrouded with silence again and the Empress finally sat down.

" Timothy, sit down. It's not your fault. I'm ashamed to be told by someone young to calm myself down." the Empress calmly said.

" I just did what I had to do. " flustered by her praises I immediately replied.

" Now then, let's continue to have dinner. This should be a joyous ocassion and not a time to fight. Theon, I will talk to you later at my office. Duke Magnus, I understand the situation of your daughter I shall explain it to my wife later." the emperor announced at the dinner table.

Finally, after a furious arguement.

---

Thankfully the dinner went as plan although there were some complications.

I was about to exit the hall when suddenly I heard a maid call me.

" Young Lady, the Duke wishes to talk to you. " she said.

What could it be this time? I thought.

I hope he praise me for covering for Leora.

No, that's definitely not it, knowing the Duke..

Though, I hope...

Maybe it was the heaviness that made me dream I could get atleast one happy memory to be proud of before this day ends.

Surely, it couldn't be worse.

" I greet the Great Duke of Magnus." I bowed towards father.

I decided to look up expecting to see some light in her eyes but the figure I can only see is him looking down on me with Leora sleeping in his arms.

Ah, so warm yet so painful.

" Why do you have to resemble your mother so much?" he said.

" What do you mean, father?" I replied while smiling hastily.

" Nevermind, just don't try to show off. " he said without even looking at me.

After he said those few words he left me there without even giving me a chance to process what was happening.

I look at the window and the stars welcomed my eyes.

Maybe, he misunderstood my intentions again.

I looked up immediately so my tears won't start falling.

I know, a lady shouldn't cry.

I walked back to my chambers.

Little did I know, the worst is yet to come.