Chapter 4: Gossips in the Mansion

As a normal day of mine would start, I get up, get bathe by the maids, get dressed hy the servants and walk out of the room.

It was still the usual day I always ought to experience but something feels out of the ordinary. The air was more tense than usual.

I was walking on the garden when I heard blabbering servants.

" Did you hear? The Duke is about to bring another lady! " the maid announced in the camarederie of them, gossipers.

" Won't that be a good thing? The Young Miss is sure sad because of the Duchess' death, now she will have a play friend just a year older than her! " another servant replied.

" Are you an idiot? Do you think the Duchy will allow some stray kids inside the mansion? " the first speaker annoyingly asked.

"Wait, it couldn't be....Lady Agapius and the Duke's child?! " the maid exclaimed.

" Shhh, keep your voice low. That might actually true, afterall before the madam arrived they truly loved each other. It was the engagement of the Duke and Madam that broght destruction to their love. " the maid said.

" Oh~ I also heard that the Madam used to love the Duke even when he was in a relationship with Lady Agapius. "

" Maybe he begged her father to arrange her marriage to the Duke then? "

" That's awful! She knew how much the Duke loved Lady Kalila but she did it? How evil! "

After hearing such words, I can not control my anger.

I knew my mother very well, because I've been watching her ever since I was little. She will not take anything for granted.

Moreover, by the the time the child was born, my Father and Mother was already married. I was born 3 years after their marriage, it would be strange that the Duke has another daughter a year older than me.

I showed up myself, the servants was startled.

" M-My Lady! " they bowed their heads to me as a sign of respect.

I know, at times like this a lady doesn't have to bother with such rumors, but I couldn't contain my emotions. It was beyond reasonable, they are speaking ill of the dead Duchess, the same person who gave them living.

" You make it sound like adultery is romantic. "I said.

" I'll ask the head maid to give you proper punsihment. " I left a few words and continued on my walk.

I can hear theur cries begging me to have mercy and swearing they won't do it again.

Although I don't know the full story, it's still immoral to have a child with another woman when you are already betrothed.

As I continue my walk, I happen to pass by a a flock of roses.

I hold one by my hare hands.

It's wrong to say that life is not a bed of roses, because it is.

It's beatiful and painful at the same time.

" My lady, it's already time for your etiquette class, we shall get going. " my maid bowed as she inform me of my schedule.

------

5 days later...

It was such a short period of time when my mother's death happened and we're already nearing the spring but, I still remember what ahppened that day, every detail and everything.

It was white and there was red.

The day went by like a torture for me, hoping really is hopeless.

But I know, as long as I held on that hands that I've been reaching for, I can grasp it. My Father will someday notice me too, and evem if it's just the two of us, no three, we can be the family I have always dreamt of.

I looked down on the window as I heard carriages clankingand horses neighing. It was her, she has arrived.

I don't have my maid by my side and I was not allowed to be out of my room by my Father. The servahts was asked to gather on the entrance to greet the new lady of the Duchy.

She has jet black hair, the hair that would remind you of the jight sky. It was beautiful.

Yes, just like my father's.

I couldn't see her face very well from a distance, but I could tell by the atmosphere that she is indeed like spring.

I turned my back on the window and continued to write my tasks.

I would meet her very soon, I just have to wait.

I looked around my room and felt an emptiness on my heart. It only has been a few hours since the servants gathered on the entrance but has it felt so lonely here before?

I can't allow to have such thoughts, I continued writing on my notebook.

" Young Lady! The Duke has called for you. " the servant exclaimed at my door.

It was such a short phrase but it was enough to lift my mood. I was glad.

I immediately stopped on what I was doing and hurried to the Duke's office.

What will it be? Will he inroduce me to her as a sister? What does my father need?

As I reached the door of the office enough to catch my breath, I instantly bowed.

" Father, I heard you called for me. " I couldn't stop the positive tone of my voice and the smile escaping from my lips.

When I looked straightly, to my surprise it was just the two of us here.

" John, leave the room and close the door. " father asked the butler in a serious manner.

The duke then immediately heed the order of the Duke.

" I heard you punished the maids. " he said.

" They were talking ill of mother! I-I can't just pass by! " I replied in frustrated tone.

" Do you think I'll believe you? I knew it from the very beginning, you always have this habit. " he replied.

" As far as I can remember, even when your mother was here you have always done this, and your reason is always the same. If you want to make it more realistic use a different alibi next time. " he continued.

" It's not like that.." I can feel the air became more tense as the conversation goes by.

" I called you here to inform you that I can not allow such behavior to reach Leora. You are prohibited from meeting her from this day to forward. " he spoke with full authority.

I didn't even get to explain myself.

Hearing my father utter such words, my heart aches in pain. This is part of that family I'm always dreaming of. I have to keep going.

" Try your best to stay on your room and avoid meeting Leora. " was the last words he said to me as I walked out of the room.

I knew it very well, even if I want to resist him, I wouldn't be able to because I love him more than myself.