3

Kakashi stared at Hiruzen with his one eye shocked.

He could not believe it.

Orochimaru would destroy everything for a child he didn't know truly existed. He truly is insane.

"What about Yuki? What happens to her?"

Hiruzen clasped his hands and leaned on his elbows placed on the mahogany desk and looked at Kakashi seriously.

"I am entrusting her care in your hands."

Kakashi widens his eye even more and is now gaping at his hokage.

"Hokage-sama, with all due respect, do you really believe I am capable?"

Hiruzen looks at Kakashi and lightly smiled.

"Kakashi, you became Chunin at six, a Jōnin at ten, and now you are currently apart of the ANBU black ops."

"But Hokage-Sama-"

Kakashi stops in the middle of his dialogue as Hiruzen raises his hand to stop him.

"Kakashi, I know you are only nineteen, but you have been through so much through your life. Danzo and the war are just a few examples, but because of these obstacles that were in your path, I don't know anyone more fitting for the job. I see you as one of my best shinobi Kakashi. I am asking as an old man who cares for this girl and not as the Hokage right now, please take care of my students daughter." Hiruzen bows his head and Kakashi stares shocked.

"OK."

Hiruzen raises his head and smiles gently at the silver haired man.

"Thank you. I'll take your full detailed report of the assassination mission tomorrow. You can go see Yuki now."

Kakashi bows in respect towards his hokage. Kakashi promptly leaves the room and heads to the hospital.
* * *

Yuki slowly opens her eyes and is greeted with darkness. She shifts and feels the rough material of the hospital gown rubbing against her skin. She sits up and grabs the sleeve of the gown looking around the darkened room confused.

"Where am I?" Yuki whispers to herself. Yuki lifts the covers of the bed off of her and softly gasps in shock. "My feet..."

Yuki's feet are wrapped in bandages, absorbing some blood still oozing from the wounds. Yuki gently grabs her foot, but still winces in pain as she touched a bruise.

"How? Who helped me get here?"

"That was me and my...friend."

Yuki turns her head up to the door so fast Kakashi is afraid she might get whiplash. Yuki squints her eyes at the bright light of the hallway coming through the open door.

"Who are you?"

Kakashi turns on the lights and walks over to Yuki's bed.

"That's a question that not many people have found the answer to yet, and I am one of them. I don't know who I am, but I know my name. Hi, I'm Hatake Kakashi."

Kakashi puts out his hand and Yuki hesitantly shake's it before gasping in realisation and begins bombarding him with questions

"Where am I? Are my parents OK? Do you know them? Is that Orochimoomoo coming back for me?" Yuki crawls towards Kakashi and grips his shirt with tears in here eyes. "My mommy and daddy are OK right? Right?!"

Kakashi's eye softens and he lightly ruffles her white hair. Kakashi see's her tears about to fall so he pulls her into a tender embrace. One that only a brother can give. One that screams 'I will be your shield.'

"Hey, calm down. You're in Konoha hospital. Orochimaru is not coming for you."

"What about my parents?" Yuki sniffles.

Kakashi gulps and nuzzles his face into the girls hair.

"I am so sorry. I tried to help, but your dad was gone before I got to the compound and your mother," Kakashi releases a shaky breath as tears stream down his face and lands on Yuki's head, "your mother died in my arms. I couldn't save her. I knew them. They were like my family. I am so sorry."

Yuki clenches Kakashi's shirt tighter as they both sob into each other.

Kakashi slowly pulls Yuki away from him and smiles at her gently through his mask.

"I know your sad about your parents and family, I am too, but starting today I am your legal guardian so that means I'm your big brother. That's good right?"

Kakashi wipes the tears off her chubby cheeks and Yuki gives him a small smile.

"Yeah."

Kakashi looks at the clock hanging on the wall and sighs a bit.

"It's time for me to go. You should get some rest."

Kakashi pats her head and stands up from the bed about to leave but Yuki just grips onto his shirt tighter.

"Stay."

Kakashi looks at her surprised but soon realised of her fear of being alone. It was a reasonable fear, especially after what happened to her.

Kakashi lays on top of the covers of the uncomfortable hospital bed. Yuki cuddles into Kakashi's large frame and soon drifts off to sleep. Kakashi turns on to his side carefully as to not wake the small child as he too slowly succumbs into a deep slumber but not before making a promise to himself.

'I promise to try and make you happy. To try and make you laugh. To try to protect you from the dangers of this world. To try and teach you to protect yourself when I can't. To try and love and support you. To try and be the best big brother I can be.'
——————
It's pretty short. I'll try to make it longer next time. See ya later geeks.

May 7 2015
July 3 2017